Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Avenir Next OpenType features not working - ID CC 2017

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

It appears that Avenir Next includes both small caps and oldstyle number OpenType features, but I cannot use these in InDesign CC 2017. All OpenType features are bracketed/unavailable under Character Palette > Opentype >... Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Sorry, I was still reading about it.

So it seems that I have a newer version than you do (8.0e5d6 vs. 8.0e2e1), and I have a .ttc—TrueType Collection while you have a .ttf—a font. I was trying to figure out the origin, and it looks like mine came with my Mac OS, while yours was purchased from Linotype.

So where does this leave you? Unless new information shows up later on this thread to the contrary, I'd say that you either want to purchase the current version from Linotype, or at least reach out

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me. What's happening our your end?

InDesign CCss_017.pngInDesign CCss_018.pngInDesign CCss_019.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The choices are not showing as available at all. See screenshots. Last image shows fake/forced sm caps. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.32.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.30.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.31.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see. Are you using a font manager? Have you tried re-downloading the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can also add a screenshot of the font info. Go to type-> Find Font and choose "More Info" after selecting the Avenir Next font.

This is helpful to see both the font type and Version.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both BarbBinder and amaarora for your help! Here is font info. Does the ".ttf" extension tell us something? My font manager says "OpenType - TT" though. I can see about maybe re-downloading, but I'm not sure if we have the records of purchase available or not. I'll have to research that, no idea when/how the studio acquired the font.

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 12.14.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 12.16.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Seems that solved your problem.

.ttf=true type font. Hence, you don't see the OpenType properties. The version on BarbBinder InDesign is the OpenType one.

Verify the font path from the font manager? (must be different from the one shown through InDesign)

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm confused. Mine is TrueType:

InDesign CCss_024.png

Yet...

InDesign CCss_025.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm... me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder, What are you showing in the Avenir Next screenshot? That's what I've been looking at back and forth since yesterday, wondering why it is not translating to InDesign. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was still reading about it.

So it seems that I have a newer version than you do (8.0e5d6 vs. 8.0e2e1), and I have a .ttc—TrueType Collection while you have a .ttf—a font. I was trying to figure out the origin, and it looks like mine came with my Mac OS, while yours was purchased from Linotype.

So where does this leave you? Unless new information shows up later on this thread to the contrary, I'd say that you either want to purchase the current version from Linotype, or at least reach out to them to inquire about what is going on. Reaching out is free, so I'd start there:

Linotype Support - Contact Information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad I could help, rikely . Let us know how this turns out.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding a little more information:

TrueType Collection (TTC) is an extension of TrueType format that allows combining multiple fonts into a single file, creating substantial space savings for a collection of fonts with many glyphs in common.

A .ttf extension indicates a regular TrueType font, or an OpenType font with TrueType outlines, while a .ttc extension is reserved for TTCs. An OpenType font with PostScript outlines must have an .otf extension.

In versions of Windows through XP, the filename extensions of font files are displayed in the Fonts folder. In later versions, only checking Properties in the File menu will reveal the filename extension. TrueType font names have the extension .ttf (TrueType font) or .ttc (TrueType Collection; a single font representing multiple typefaces), although these extensions can also be used for "TrueType flavored" OpenType fonts. As far as Windows is concerned, those formats are virtually identical, varying only by their character sets. Not all OpenType fonts, then, will have an .otf filename extension. Those that do will also work on a Macintosh.

Also this link Identifying Font Formats > The Complete Manual of Typography: About Fonts

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what solved my problem? Could you explain how to verify the font path from the font manager, if possible?

Does .ttc in BarbBinder mean it's OpenType? I'm confused...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines