• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit In" greyed out for one Collection but not the others...?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a mac and have the latest LR and PS CC versions. I am running Sierra OS. My LR catalog got huge and slow so I created another catalog. I have 2 Collections in this catalog. The problem is that one of the Collections allows me to "Edit In" photoshop but the other Collection does not- the Edit In feature is greyed out. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

One "possible" explanation is that the collection that cannot be edited is on an external disk that is not connected and therefore you are working with smart previews. When that is the case, smart previews cannot be edited in Photoshop. You must have access to the master photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One "possible" explanation is that the collection that cannot be edited is on an external disk that is not connected and therefore you are working with smart previews. When that is the case, smart previews cannot be edited in Photoshop. You must have access to the master photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JimHess. How would I fix this situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"IF" that is the problem then the solution would be to connect the external hard drive or whatever media is holding the master images for that collection so that Lightroom has access to the master images.

Just to clarify for you the advantage of using smart previews.  When you generate smart previews Lightroom can use those in lieu of the master images for editing in Lightroom. This allows you to work in Lightroom when you are away from your main computer  or when the master images are disconnected for one reason or another. The disadvantage is that you cannot utilize Photoshop in the workflow when using just the smart previews because the work done in Photoshop cannot be synchronized with the master images. The later versions of Lightroom allow you to choose to create smart previews automatically for all images because it helps to speed up the Lightroom workflow. I don't know whether you have chosen to choose that option or not. And I don't know whether the solution I have suggested is applicable in your situation. That's why I mentioned that it is a "possible" solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines