• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have created three documents with InDesign 2017 and need to make the same documents (all content included) in multiple sizes...

Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way for me to do this without having to manually change things? I don't have anything elaborate, just some tables, text boxes, one "drawn" item (though it's used multiple times through these documents), and one small (grayscale) picture that is used multiple times throughout the documents. There are 8 other sizes I need to make (excluding the original), and as of now it's just these three documents. In the near future there will be quite a few more, so I'm hoping there is a way to do this without having to resize manually. I have googled and read several tutorials about how to do this, but either they are using an earlier versi of the software, or the changes they need to make are more complex than mine. The documents are booklets, and I just need to make each booklet in a total of 9 sizes (and hopefully have the same look in each one). Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Side Note: I have only been using InDesign for a few weeks, and though I feel I have learned quite a bit in this time, I know I have a lot more to learn! Thanks again! I appreciate any input!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Alternate Layouts is the name of the InDesign feature that allow you to have multiple-sized versions of a document in a single file. You need to set up Liquid Layout rules to direct the page elements to adapt to the various page sizes.

You can learn more about Alternate Layouts and Liquid Layout rules here:

Liquid and alternate layouts in InDesign

InDesign Help | Understanding liquid layout rules

http://layersmagazine.com/using-liquid-layout-in-indesign-cs6.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the Pages Tool (shift + P)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternate Layouts is the name of the InDesign feature that allow you to have multiple-sized versions of a document in a single file. You need to set up Liquid Layout rules to direct the page elements to adapt to the various page sizes.

You can learn more about Alternate Layouts and Liquid Layout rules here:

Liquid and alternate layouts in InDesign

InDesign Help | Understanding liquid layout rules

http://layersmagazine.com/using-liquid-layout-in-indesign-cs6.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As trainer, I can tell that you it will take a little time to get up and running on Alternate & Liquid layouts, so watch and read through the resources first before trying to tackle this. I also see that Lynda.com has a few titles that address these features. Here's a link to a free 10-day trial.

Online Video Tutorials at lynda.com • lynda.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm not sure if I was clear about what I'm needing to do. I do not need the different sizes to be in the same file. I will be printing them, and I just need to be able to print them in various sizes, and have them look the same once printed. I'm not sure if the same advice applies? I have looked at the links you provided, I guess I just need to spend more time trying to understand the information. Thank you very much for your time and assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same advice. It's the way to create multiple versions of a document, and keeping them in a single file makes it even more convenient, although it's not required. You can always create various standalone PDFs for print purposes.

The alternative is to create the various sizes manually, and resize the elements manually. 

When you said you are new to InDesign, I just wanted to give you the heads up that you'll need to take some time to learn how this works. But they payoff will be there, once you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I just wanted to be sure it was still applicable to my situation. I guess I've taken for granted the fact that everything I've learned thus far has been fairly easy for me. I will definitely dig into all of these resources and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out! Thanks again! To everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'd love it if you come back and tell me this is easy too! (And it will be, once you figure out which rules to use).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I sure hope so! Right now it's giving me a major headache! It seems like it should be so much easier, considering how "plain" my content is.    I'm hoping it will just click before too long! Thanks again, you've been so kind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again! I have been watching these videos and doing a lot of research, and I'm still totally stumped! I've been exploring google, and I found where someone else asked a question that was very similar, and the "correct" response looks like it would work in my situation. I tried to comment and ask the person who gave the correct answer if they could please explain it to someone who is more of a novice, but the moderators rejected my comment. If I copy/paste that persons instructions, can you please try to explain how I would do what he said? Thank you, and I apologize if I'm any trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just paste the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to post the link to just his response. Should I post the link for the whole thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. then maybe count down and tell me to look at the third response. or 10th, or whatever it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I'm viewing this on my phone, so I'm not sure if the order is the same (I believe it is). It's the first response, the one marked as the correct answer. I really appreciate your time and help. I'm not sure why they rejected my post to this thread..

Scaling Tables

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I see your question at the end. I'll add a link back to this thread so that Eternal Warrior will see it.

You may find this applicable, or not. It doesn't replace Alternative layouts and it does not scale the text. And again, it's a lot for a new user to wrap their head around, but here goes...

Table in a text frame, Window > Styles > Object Style. Edit [Basic Text Frame] or make a new object style.

InDesign CCss_028.png

Set Frame Fitting Options to Auto-Fit.

InDesign CCss_029.png

Set Text Frame Auto-Size Options to Width and Height. InDesign CCss_030.png

Select the table with the Type tool and resize.InDesign CCss_031.png

The frame resizes along with the table. The text does not resize. InDesign CCss_032.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I think that will be very helpful! It's odd, I got an email telling me that my post was rejected by the moderator on the other post.. hmm. I really appreciate your help. I would love to learn the liquid layout, I just cannot seem to wrap my head around it. I think because the videos show documents that are so different from mine, and I cannot understand it at all just in written format. I need to see what I am being told to do! I really appreciate you taking the time to post the screenshots! I'm not sure if it will solve my problem or not, but I'm sure it will come in useful somewhere down the line, if not here. Thanks again! You have been so kind, patient and helpful! Have a wonderful night!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must apologise.. I'm not sure why your post was rejected on the other forum... In fact I can't even see the post ever existing... (which is weird because as I'm a moderator they normally show up).

I'm glad that you had the excellent BarbBinder​ to help you however - along with all the other wonderful people

I would be more than happy to help out with other questions you may have... I have started following this thread so I should get messages about it.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh found the question!! Not sure how I didn't see that response at the time... Have PM'd kailar80342908

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for being so kind! No apology necessary. I feel bad because I am having so much trouble with this. I am typically very independent and I feel bad taking up other peoples time because I don't know the software well enough. I appreciate everyone being so kind and willing to help! Have a wonderful evening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder is right - Alternate Layouts is the fastest method. Sometimes you have to adjust your new layout manually. Liquid Layout is fine - try to use different layout options (Object Based, Guide Based) and sometimes rearrange object yourself

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liquid Layout is great -- in theory. It just doesn't work very well in practice in many cases. Still, as it's a built-in feature, by all means try and see if you can get it to work for you.

A much simpler way to resize the document, which works as you would expect it to (just type in the dimensions for the new document and everything resizes!) is our QuickResize add-on. It's not free, but if you'll be doing much of this, worth looking into:

QuickResize | Id-Extras.com

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I downloaded the trial but so far haven't been able to figure out how to start using it. Windows prompts me to search the Windows App Store for an app to open the file with. I emailed customer support so hopefully I will be able to give it a try soon! Thanks again, have a wonderful evening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have purchased this add-on and used it many times. It's been such a lifesaver for me! Thank you so much for sharing! I really appreciate everyone's help! I'm sure I will need to learn the other methods, but for now, this is doing it for me and totally worth the money spent! Thanks again to everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fantastic! So glad to hear it's working well for you!

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines