Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom image files deleting but not going into MAC trash

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wondered if anybody can help me? Recently bought a new Late 2013 Mac Pro running 10.12.2 Mac OS Sierra. Upgraded my Lightroom 5 to 6 using the creative cloud subscription.

Because of the lack of hard drives in the New Mac Pro, I also bought a Promise Pegasus R2+ 3TB Drives connected by thunderbolt which holds all my Lightroom files.

This is using RAID 0.

I've come across something really weird when deleting files in my Lightroom catalog. When deleting (using 'delete from disk' before anyone asks) the files disappear but do not end up in the trash like it always has in the past. Not until I restart my computer or place something in manually from that particular hard drive that the files magically appear in the trash where they should be. Unfortunately when I switch my computer off and on again the next working day, I have the same exact issue. Very strange!!

Already spoke to Apple using online chat and made sure it wasn't a problem with my Mac so I can at least rule that out. They finally advised my to reinstall Lightroom which I did but didn't cure the problem.

Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

The is some information here on a similar problem.  Try performing the solutions discussed here.

Lightroom: Can't move files to the trash "Volume does not support trash" error on MacOS 10.10 Yosemite | Photoshop Famil…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamest,

If your files are large and your free space is small, the OS will deleted the oldest/largest files instead of storing them in the trash. Could this be what is happening? Start with an empty trash bin and then try to delete an image from inside LR.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Thank you for taking the time to reply but unfortunately that is not it. Taken so long for anyone to answer (two weeks), I've been in constant contact with Adobe technical services and seems like I have actually found a bug in the Lightroom software as they were able to replicate the problem when working with an external hard drive.

Hopefully won't be long before they have an update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same issue in LightRoom CC 2015.9. I mark for deletion .dng images in the Grid view of the Library by pressing X and then go to the Photo / Delete rejected photos menu options, making sure I also click the Delete from Disk button. I confirm that the file is deleted from it's directory on the external hard drive using Finder however it is not in the Trash.

Similar to James' report, having observed the Trash was definitely empty, I deleted an image DIRECTLY from within its directory using Finder and went to the Trash to see if it was there and it was - together with hundreds of other images that I had deleted from within LR over the last four hours.

I am using MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 on a Mac Pro and have 400GB of free space.

Its never happened before today for me.

Any ideas please?

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just upgraded to LR 2105.10 however the issue has not been fixed. The missing "deleted by LR" images which should have been in the Trash can still be made to reappear in the Trash by deleting a photo using the Finder, so that's a good work-around.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The is some information here on a similar problem.  Try performing the solutions discussed here.

Lightroom: Can't move files to the trash "Volume does not support trash" error on MacOS 10.10 Yosemi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  I delete files in bridge and lightroom... both show files deleted, however, they aren't in the trash.  This poses a real problem as I'd like to recover files if I have accidentally deleted them.  Has anyone found a fix to this????  By the way, I am a Mac user, and the problem hasn't always occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the temporary workaround is to create a folder on the external drive and delete it. It  still works even if you quit Lightroom and relaunch it later, but I think the problem will likely recur after a reboot. Looking at the old forum threads it's surprising this issue is still around. I had a similar problem on Lightroom 5, except LR would warn me it couldn't move files to the trash, and offered to delete them immediately. Now the files just disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines