• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make compressed animated gif?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am very new to animate and I just dont know where to find the ability to compress my file

I am exporting animated gif and I cannot compress.

I can't use the swf (which would make life easy but) I need the .gif

the file is approaching 1 MB needs be 50k or under

any help much appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

As Clay suggested, there are online ones. I had thought they were for GIFs and wouldn't do the right thing with animated gif. But this one does:

https://ezgif.com/optimize

In my test case it did better than ImageOptim.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as a non-compressed animated GIF. The format is inherently compressed.

Now, what you can do is run your output through a GIF optimizer, which can attempt to make your animation more compressible by reducing the color depth, frame rate, resolution, and various other tweaks.

But if you're seriously trying to get a 1MB animation down to 50K yeah no that's not happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the feedback - is there any way to convert the swf into a gif? because the swf is only 50k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A SWF is a computer program, not a video format. That's how Flash animations can be so compact. When you convert one to video you're just recording its output as a sequence of frames, and animated GIF is the worst, most inefficient "video" format there is.

If you want a 50K GIF you're going to have to make your animation shorter and simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate does have a problem when making animated gifs. It makes every frame unique instead of only storing what has changed. I haven't figured a way around that in Animate.

But, if you have a Mac you can use ImageOptim:

https://imageoptim.com/mac

Drag your animated gif into its window, and in the Tools menu select Gifsicle. In my quick test I had a file go from 670k down to 56k.

If you don't have a Mac can you put the animated gif online somewhere, and I'll try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many freely available online animated GIF optimizers. All she has to do is Google them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have mac - where would I put the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Clay suggested, there are online ones. I had thought they were for GIFs and wouldn't do the right thing with animated gif. But this one does:

https://ezgif.com/optimize

In my test case it did better than ImageOptim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above link, BTW, is literally the first thing that comes up when you Google "animated gif optimizer".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be why I gave it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I saw - I did google. Thanks for all of the efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines