• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag and Drop .EPS Files into InDesign Not Working

Participant ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign CC, someone emailed me a zip file containing an .EPS that I need to open and work on in InDesign. I have done this once before a while ago, and it seems to me that all I did was save the file to my computer, open it, and drag/drop the .EPS into an open InDesign document, and it opened it as a new tab. For some reason this is not working this time. What could I be doing wrong? Do I need to unzip the file? Do I need to drag and drop into the dashboard rather than an open document? What is going on with my life? Plz halp!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, you cannot place a zipped file in InDesign. Unzip it and extract the contents. Then drag and drop (or use File > Place) to add the .eps file to the InDesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use EPS as it is an old and outdated file type. Use PDF/X-4 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, it is a supported format according to How to place, import, and insert images into InDesign.

If there are problems with importing EPS files, Adobe should address them. If you have an example file that does not work, let them know! Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it is entirely outdated as I work in and with an industry that uses them often, I just hadn't had to work with one personally in a while. And I knew it was supported because I did the same thing just a couple of months ago. Luckily after 20+ tries, it miraculously started working! Not sure what was going on, it was likely a result of a slow server issue I've been experiencing at work. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wasn't going to get into that because you aren't the one creating the .eps files, but since it was brought up, take a look at this article:

EPS – the Zombie among file formats

You might consider sharing it with whoever is providing you with .eps files.

In the meantime, glad you are back on track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines