• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need total page count on master pages

Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen various forms of this question in the forums, but they seem to remain unanswered. I hope someone can help.

I have a contract document which will change each time I use it, with the result that the total number of pages may change. I have a footer that says "Page x of xx pages", but I have to fill in the total number of pages manually. That gets pretty clunky when I'm working with a large document!

Is there a script that will fill that in for me on each footer?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Hi,

As correctly pointed out by SJRiegel​..

You can by inserting a text variable called "Last Page Number". You define a text variable by choosing Type > Text Variables > Define.

The last page number is useful for adding the total number of pages in a document to footers using the format "Page x of xx". In this case, the number x is generated by the test variable and is updated automatically whenever pages are added or deleted.

From the scope menu, choose an option to determine if the last page num

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem that you have a lot of Master pages, and are worried about missing changing some of them?

You could have the Page x of xx pages on one Master Page, and base all other Master Pages on that one. Then you would only have to change it once, and it would carry across all the Master Pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As correctly pointed out by SJRiegel​..

You can by inserting a text variable called "Last Page Number". You define a text variable by choosing Type > Text Variables > Define.

The last page number is useful for adding the total number of pages in a document to footers using the format "Page x of xx". In this case, the number x is generated by the test variable and is updated automatically whenever pages are added or deleted.

From the scope menu, choose an option to determine if the last page number in section or document is used.

This wint work well for Books and if you have created any sections

Create and edit text variables in InDesign

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was so easy, Aman!

Thank you very much! I wish I'd asked this question two years ago! I did a couple of searches in the forums, but I guess I was asking the wrong question, because every post on that subject I found was unanswered.

~Jonni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Am happy I could help

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines