• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't update to Lightroom 6.10

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My non-CC Lightroom was at 6.9. When I ran the updater to 6.10 this message appears and I could no longer open Lightroom. I replaced LR from my backup drive and ran the updater again and got the same problem and message. Why won't 6.9 update to 6.10?  I am on a Mac running OS X 10.12.4

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.58.45 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

I ran into the same "update failed" error (OSX 10.12.4). Here's what worked for me:

Under /Applications/Adobe Lightroom folder: Uninstalled Lr using the Uninstall.app in that folder, but kept Preferences. Removed anything remaining in the Lr folder.

Restarted my Macbook Pro

Downloaded the Cleaner Tool. Ran it and just removed the Lightroom installer from the list.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Then I ran the update in the CC Desktop app, taking care to go into ad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Williamk,

Could you please install the update from our direct update patch and let us know if that helps?

Link:- http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/mac/AdobeLightroom-6.0/6.10/setup.dmg

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Akash —

I tried to update from the link you provided but got the same result with the same error message I posted in my original support request. My Lightroom is still at 6.9.

Any other suggestions I could try?

Thanks again,

William K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure if this helps but the following problem,

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 16.08.05.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-12 at 16.07.47.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-12 at 16.18.17.png

uninstalled it, tried again, still failed, tried to install 6.9 from direct download and failed.

renamed 1.0 folder in  /Libary/Application support/Adobe/AAMupdater/1.0

tried 6.10 again from CC and it's works

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew -- what did you rename the AAMupdater folder to instead of 1.0 ?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just put a b in front so it was b1.0 in case i needed to go back to it

I have checked to see if it is still there after the install worked and now have the following folders

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 17.55.32.png

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew —

I tried that and it still won’t update 6.9 to 6.10. I tried updating within Lightroom itself and from the external downloaded updater app. Neither worked. Lightroom remains at 6.9. I get this error message in the log:

My Lightroom is not part of CC. It is a standalone version. I wonder if that makes a difference when trying to upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a call/email to support might be the answer.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha ha. I called support and they gave me zero help but insisted I must have downloaded the wrong file (I didn't). They left me to wait for the download to complete and closed the case. Of course it failed a second time. When I called them back, I was told they don't support upgrading and I should search the community forum. I pointed out just how arrogant I found this stance to be.

Fortunately I found this page. I was able to run the uninstaller (not ticking the Preferences box) from the Adobe Lightroom folder (on Mac), restart, and then re-install from the original 6.0 install file, then run the patch for version 6.10.1. Of course I had to supply the registration key for the 6.0 (non-CC) app, but it does work now. It lost track of the icon on my dock (so I had to replace that) but it now runs and it is version 6.10. Adobe has had HORRIBLE install processes for years and they just don't seem to care. Now that they've moved to CC and monthly subscriptions I imagine they care even less if you're not on the "pay monthly forever" bandwagon.

FYI, in my case it was NOT necessary to run the Cleaner program, only the Uninstaller that ships with Adobe Lightroom 6. I'm on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina. Hope this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrew,

Quote "uninstalled it, tried again, still failed, tried to install 6.9 from direct download and failed."

Just so you should be aware having uninstalled the existing version you will first have to install LR 6.0 (this is the full application) before you can run LR 6.10 (this is a patch as is all other updates 6.1 through 6.10).

​You do not need to run the individual patches just the last one LR 6.10.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash -- Do you work for Adobe? Do you know if anyone is looking into this problem? Apparently, the failure to update has affected more than just myself.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same "update failed" error (OSX 10.12.4). Here's what worked for me:

Under /Applications/Adobe Lightroom folder: Uninstalled Lr using the Uninstall.app in that folder, but kept Preferences. Removed anything remaining in the Lr folder.

Restarted my Macbook Pro

Downloaded the Cleaner Tool. Ran it and just removed the Lightroom installer from the list.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Then I ran the update in the CC Desktop app, taking care to go into advanced, keeping my earlier Lr install and my settings.

The update took a bit, but no more error and my settings are there.  2015.10/ACR 9.10 is the reported version.

Hope this works for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this strategy — since my Lightroom is not a Creative Cloud version (rather it’s a standalone version), and therefore I don’t have the “CC Desktop app” you mention, I assume I would need to re-install from the install disc which I originally used to install LR instead of using the Desktop app ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used the permanent version, but that sounds about right. Then run the 6.10 patch.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to use the disk. You can download the installer from here: Download Photoshop Lightroom​ and then you can download and run the 6.10 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing that link! I uninstalled my old LR, then reinstalled a new copy of LR via the link you sent, then checked for updates and it updated my LR to 6.10.

So I'm good to go -- appreciate your help!

William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gene -- thanks for your help. I followed your steps but didn't use the Cleaner since it didn't have an option for "cleaning" the standalone version of LR. Then downloaded a new LR app from Adobe, installed it, entered my serial number from my original packaging, checked for updates, and this time it updated the new LR to 6.10.

Have to say this has been an unusual process for a simple update to an app. I'm not an experienced Adobe user -- strange that they would have such good products marred by update glitches. Regardless, appreciate your help.

William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

strange that they would have such good products marred by update glitches.

Unfortunately the Adobe update process has been problematic for many many years. The U44 error thing has been an issue for years. Apparently it is quite hard to fix. I have run into it over the years on some of my machines and generally only fix is to completely uninstall everything and start anew. It is quite unpredictable though as my main machine has never encountered it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the uninstall/reinstall then update.  That worked...the second time.  I just uninstalled using the UnInstall since my version is the stand-alone version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would a normal human being find that link without asking? Trying to find a link to actually download the update to 6.10 is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it with this link, but update failed and now I can't open LR. Hmmmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry -- Here's what I did that finally worked, based on advice given in this thread:  (the following is for standalone Lightroom that is not part of the CC thing. If your Lightroom is part of CC, there are instructions above.)

1. Go to your Applications > Lightroom folder and run the Lightroom Uninstaller. Restart your Mac.

2. Go here  Download Photoshop Lightroom  to download a new version of Lightroom 6. Run the installer and install a new version of Lightroom. (You will need your serial number.)

3. Then, from within Lightroom, check for updates and you should get the 6.10 update.

Those steps worked for me when my LR 6.9 wouldn't upgrade to 6.10 and I couldn't open LR just as you described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, William. I followed your instructions and all us well again. Shame Adobe couldn't arrange for a smoother upgrade/instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed re: Adobe -- glad you're up and running. And my thanks to those above us in the list who provided help when I was stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In these sort of situations, I've seen using the creative cloud cleaner app work well: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems​. It's draconian but if nothing else works that might be a last resort. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines