Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer that can do 4K color correction in Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am buying a new computer and I need some help.

I am looking for a computer that can do fast 4K color correction and editing in both Adobe Premiere Pro /Lumetri Color, Davinci Resolve and Assimilate Scratch. I sometimes work with DPX files as well.

I am looking at two machines and not sure which one to get:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 V4 ES Broadwell 20 cores / 40 threads cpu 2.5GHz turbo, 2,3GHz all cores, 50mb cache

RAM: 4 x 4Gb Crusial DDR4 2133MHz (16GB total)

DRIVE: Kingston V300s 120Gb SSD

Motherboard: Asrock X99m Extreme 4

CPUZ bench: Single Thread 1200, Multi Thread 23800

OR

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2420 1.9Ghz 12 cores / 24 threads

RAM: 4 x Kingston 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 ECC CL11 (64GB total)

DRIVE: 4 x 250GB 5400RPM 2, 25" SATA

Motherboard: Asus Z9NA-D6

For the GPU, I am planning to install 1 x Nvidia Geforce Quadro 6000 6GB RAM on either one of them.

Which one would serve me best?

Thank you so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first option is terribly lacking of RAM

That first motherboard is a single processor board so there is no way that you could get two Xeons that would be required to get 20-cores

That Xeon E5-2420 is only 6-cores, are there two CPU's?

No one in his right mind would ever buy 5400 rpm disk drives for video editing.

Do not know where you are getting such lousy configurations but I sure would never buy from them. Go to people that know video editing like ADK, Puget or Safe Harbor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Yes it one with Xeon E5-242 has 2 CPU's so 12 cores total.

However, the 20-core Xeon E5-2698 V4 seem much more powerful...or is it overkill for that motherboard?

How much RAM would I need on the first option? I could add 32GB and get up to 40GB of RAM.

They are both affordable computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I just was not aware that they had that 20-core Xeon out there.  I do have scores on 18-core Xeon's from their version 3 but nothing yet on the the newer version 4.  Since you want smooth editing of 4K media that CPU will do a great job for you in using Premiere Pro, but with 20-cores you really need lots more memory.  I would guess that you really should have 128 GB of RAM to fully use those 20-cores.

Then you also will need at least one of the new super speed SSD's like the Samsung M.2 960 PCIe G3 X4 that reads and writes like this:

There is a socket on that motherboard for one of these devices.

Do you need that 10-bit output of that Quadro GPU?  Do you have or are you buying any 10-bit monitors?  That essentially obsolete Quadro 6000 only had 448 CUDA cores which shameful against for instance a GTX 1060 6GB card which has 1280 CUDA cores at much less cost.  Of course for such a powerful processor at the heart of you system you may want a higher end GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also since that Quadro 6000 is such an old model that could cause problems.  It was released about 7-years ago and old graphics card are known to have problems with Premiere CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

How about this configuration?

Dell Precision T7500,

CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon X5670 2.93 Ghz (12 cores, 24 threads total)

RAM: 48 GB DDR3 ram

GPU: Palit GTX 1070 8gb

HDD: 120GB Samsung SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were offered that Dell unit I would much prefer a single i7-high end processor which would greatly outperform that obsolete Xeon 6-core pair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I am confused me to the max.

Everywhere I have been reading on the internet, people say you need Intel Xeon and at least 12 cores to do 4K color correction on Resolve, Premiere and Assimilate Scratch? I am not talking about DPX files here, just plain Quicktime 4K.

So do I need Intel Xeon E5 processors or can a single i7 get it done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not so fast.

In particular, what is your maximum total system budget? For your workflow and sources we may be recommending a system that's way, way more expensive than what your maximum budget allows (which might take many years, if not decades, in order to save up sufficiently for).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

color correction in all of those programs is going to depend alot on the gpu, which in turn will also depend alot on fast system memory. the newest broadwell v4 xeons can run ddr4-2400 which is ok, but intel i7 cpu's can run faster memory around dd4-3200+. the old xeons you are looking at are going to have much slower ddr3 memory and shouldn't be considered.

cpu core count depends on the codec and software. you might be looking at 12 core xeon suggestions that are including 4k scenarios using red footage. prores is not as cpu intensive, so i would imagine all of the software will be ok with prores and less than 12 cores. premiere can top out as low as 4-5 cores with quicktime/prores in some scenarios. if its very high bitrate prores you may need to focus on fast storage as well. resolve generally can use more cores than premiere, so it might take advantage of more cores with prores. assimilate scratch i'm not sure, but its likely to be able to tap into more cores than premiere as well. like bill points out, an intel i7 cpu would be a good option. not only for faster ddr4 memory, but they often have higher base clock speeds and could be overclocked for even more performance. the i7 8-core and 10-core overclocked could get near or past a 12 core xeon.

for the gpu, you may want to consider the gtx 1080 ti for the best performance with a single video card. premiere can use multiple, but supposedly only on exports. resolve can use two if you have the paid version, but seems not to scale great with additional cards. i'm not sure how assimilate scratch handles 2+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

But the GeForce GTX 780 has over 2000 CUDA cores. What is more important, the amount of CUDA cores? Clock speed? RAM? The age of the card? NVIDIA or AMD?

So either get a 8-core Intel i7 or 12 core Intel Xeon (not the oldest one) ?

Is 32GB or 64GB DDR3 RAM not enough? Does I really need DDR4 ram?

I am planning on running Mac OS X on it as well as Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the problem:

1) You were trying to mix technologies that are several generations and seven years apart. You were trying to mix either a modern multicore platform with an outdated, seven-year-old GPU or a nearly completely obsolete seven-year-old CPU platform with a modern GPU which might not work properly on such an ancient platform. The end result is a Franken-PC that does not perform as well as it should.

2) In today's PCs, there is no reason whatsoever to consider DDR3 over the newer DDR4 memory. DDR3 is now officially outdated, if not obsolete.

3) Forget about the GTX 780. Not only is it a bit outdated, but it needed more than 2000 CUDA cores just to perform the same amount of work as only 1280 of the GTX 1060 CUDA cores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.

So to be clear, this computer below will give me a better 4K performance in Premiere/Davinci/Scratch than a 12 core E5 Intel Xeon Dell or HP computer?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PALICOMP-Gaming-Skylake-4-0Ghz-4-2Ghz/dp/B01LYYZTRO/ref=sr_1_26?s=computers...

Intel i7 6700 - Check

DDR4 RAM - Check

SSD - Check

GTX1060 - Check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to see relative Premiere Pro performance look at my table of CPU intensive Premiere Pro benchmarks and pick one to your budget.  While I do have a new AMD Ryzen (overclocked) score we still are not certain that it is 100% compatible with the newer Premiere features.  Your i7-6700 above is only 4-cores,  For your high end editing I would not suggest any i7 with fewer than 8-cores

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ronin,

It seem that not only Intel i7 are equal. My 5 year old Macbook Pro that can barely handle HD in Premiere also has an Intel i7.

So what Intel i7 models are we talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm talking about the x99 platform, haswell-e or broadwell-e i7's. only the broadwell-e has the 10-core i7 though.

regarding the i7-6700 4 core, in premiere there are a few scenario's where it might only use 4-5 cpu cores and the i7-6700 having 4 fast cores would perform better than 12 cores at clock speeds. but in other scenario's premiere and the other software will make use of 8+ cpu cores and then the 12 core cpu would be faster. 4 cpu cores is generally considered for HD/1080p editing.

if you want to run mac os you will have to do your homework and check for parts compatibility. only certain parts will work with mac os and some computer configs take alot of tweaking to get the hardware to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines