• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ID CC 2015 Issue: Unable to Move Objects

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recently updated CC to 2015 on my Macbook air and have a class project I am attempting to get started but am having an issue with objects in a file. I am able to resize them but NOT move them to a new position in the file either with or without the frame.

Initially, I assume that with a prolonged absence from the app that the method for dealing with objects needed to be refreshed in my memory so I looked it up and found out this was not the case.

I then tried restarting the app and opening the same object in a different file but the problem persists.

I won't be able to complete this class project if this problem can't be solved. Please tell me something can be done.

I read something about erasing preferences but received no result from the buttons it said to hold down. The reading pertained to CS 6 but I figured this particular method might not be exclusive. This in spite of the fact that I actually have no custom preferences to erase.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Recently Creative Cloud released software updates for InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I installed them and all InDesign Issues were fixed just in time for my second class project.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about unassigned frames? If so, be sure to place your cursor over the edge of the frame before pressing and dragging the mouse to move the objects.

If you are referring to text or graphics frames which you can normally move from the middle, perhaps something is locked? You might try Object > Unlock all on Spread.

If it's neither of these, a screen shot would be really helpful. You can add it to this thread by using the 7th button on the toolbar when you reply.

As for erasing the preferences file, it's trickier than it sounds. Get your four fingers ready on your one hand, hovering over Shift, Control, Opt and Command. Double click the InDesign icon in the dock and then immediately press and hold down all four keys until it the following message appears. It usually takes me a few tries.

InDesign CCss_016.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your clarification question, I am referring to graphics. Apologies, I did not realize I was being vague. I'm still an amateur with this software.

The 'Unlock all on Spread' option is grayed so I assume it wasn't locked.

I then moved on to successfully erasing my preferences, the page I previously read about that on wasn't clear that it required exact timing, so thank you.

The problem remains.

I'm not sure what I can screen capture that will clearly display this issue as it's not a visual issue it's a performance issue. If you clarify, however, I'll gladly do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, congratulations on deleting the preferences! It's a peculiar sequence.

So you are trying to move a graphics frame... using the Selection tool (the black arrow) and pressing your mouse down inside the frame while simultaneously avoiding the doughnut in the middle?

Working from left to right: the first red rectangle shows the Selection tool, the second shows the doughnut to avoid, the third shows the cursor inside the frame but away from the dreaded doughnut, and the fourth shows that the image is not locked.

InDesign CCss_018.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I am doing and yet the image will not budge. The donut doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the sizing handles are visible on the sides and corners?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that you see the handles (which means the photo isn't just showing through from a master page), I can't think of any other reason that you can't move the frames, other than a bug. To get your project done, you could move objects via the Control panel with the X & Y coordinates—but what a painful process. Do the keyboard arrow keys nudge the frames?

I did find this thread from last year with various ideas proffered: Suddenly can't drag objects... tried several potential solutions with no luck so far. , including deleting Chrome and resetting your Mac's PRAM. I'm sorry I can't help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, the sizing handles are visible.

Using the arrow keys does in fact successfully move or more like nudge the image. That is an efficient temporary solution.

I started to attempt this:

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

But have been unable to understand the procedure because it's not laid out step by step and I don't appear to have the folders they name.

You've been very informative Barb in spite of not solving my issue, I appreciate your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I can help with that... open Finder, open the Go menu and then press Alt while the menu is down and watch the Library menu show up. (It's hidden so that you won't stumble into and start messing stuff up.)

From there go to Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version 11.0 > en_US and delete InDesign Defaults (note the path on the bottom of the screen shot):

Finderss_001.png

Start over with Opt+Go in Finder, from there go to Caches > Adobe InDesign > Version 11.0 and delete InDesign SavedData.Finderss_002.png

Restart InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that made the process much more understandable.

It did not work though. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn it! Well, let me leave you with one last thought. Since nudging is working, add the Shift key to the arrow keys for a power nudge, to move the frames faster with the keyboard. I hope you figure this out, or maybe the next upgrade will take care of it. If any of my ideas were helpful, it helps me if you mark them as such. Thanks, and I wish you the best!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done Barb, you've been quite informative.

I've discovered I have an another issue as well. I'm also unable to rearrange my layers which is a bit detrimental to my class project. It's kind of significant to my instructor to have organized layers.

Ugh, so far CC 2015 has been a piece of crap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad you finished, and wonder if you should let the instructor know what you were up against. It would go a long way with me, if you were my student.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still just beginning the project but indeed, I WILL be letting my instructor know the issues I had with the application. He's cool, he should understand.

The project isn't due until next month so perhaps I'll be able to upgrade in that time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Barb, even the 2017 version is doing this. This just started happening today, even though it didn't do this yesterday. I've had this problem before, and it still persists! Usual a reboot of the computer fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's does not care at all. And those who seem to respond and "help" you they do not understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Exactly the same locking problem here. 10.11.6 and Indesign CC 2017.

I have suspicion that it ois somehow tied to Timingapp but i have no solid data to prove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb - I'm having excactly the same issue, except I'm on a PC... Windows 10. I've tried resetting the preferences, uninstalled CC Indesign 2015, reinstalled it. Problem won't go away. Windows 10 install and CC sign up are barely 2 weeks old - all working fine, no Windows updates that I know of... Photoshop CC working fine, then BOOM open InDesign today and can't move anything around my screen. Import an image and you can scale initially but then freezes and can't select anything! I can can only un-freeze it by pressing the escape key! Any advice? Only thing that's changed (was using it fine yesterday) was that Adobe, successfully took my £50 a month subscription payment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Adobe's reference, I've discovered two other performance bugs in addition to having not yet solved the one I'd created this thread to address.

1.) I'm unable to rearrange layers

2.) I'm unable to manipulate anchor points in a drawn shape with the direct select tool. It allowed me ONCE when I'd initially completed drawing the shape but refuses to allow it again.

These issues are crippling the quality of the project I'm doing for class. Luckily I have a cool instructor who should understand. I'm going to enclose a letter with the ID document when I turn it into the class server.

This is only the first project of the class, however, I still have two more which will require the use of ID.

Does anyone know at this point when the next upgrade is going to be available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I've found solutions to the two additional issues I've reported here.

1.) It seemed it was only the particular shape I was targeting that wouldn't allow it's anchor points to be selected and manipulated. When I duplicated it, all the duplicates could be manipulated. So I just deleted the original and replaced it with a manipulatable duplicate.

2.) Moving objects between layers can be done without dragging with the mouse, which is what I can't do, by cutting (NOT copying) the object from the layer it's currently residing in and pasting it into the destination layer.

* The destination layer needs to be selected as the 'target layer', the 'target layer' is the one displaying a pen icon.
* The object must also be selected, meaning framed and the square to the right of the object name in the layer panel ticked. If the object is highlighted in the layer panel but it's not framed nor the square ticked, it is NOT selected.

Still have the image dragging bug. I'll be reporting any other issues I come across. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For the image dragging issue (not able to drag image in InDesign) please try the steps below :

1. Create a new user account in your Mac and test the InDesign there. Please see : OS X Yosemite: Set up users on your Mac

2. Or enable the root user of your Mac and test the ID there. Please see : Enabling and using the "root" user in OS X  - Apple Support

3. If InDesign allows to drag objects/images in new account or Root user, do share the result so that I can suggest the next                       troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had exactly the same problem and nothing could fix it. I tried all good advice.

I updated El Capitan with the newest update and the problem was fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently Creative Cloud released software updates for InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. I installed them and all InDesign Issues were fixed just in time for my second class project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem with InDesign CC also.

I'm using Mac, with the latest software update.

And InDesign is updated. None of the above suggestions have worked 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines