• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will my design scale to higher resolution screens in the future?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently designing on an iPhone Plus sized canvas. Since XD is vector based, I'm wondering if my design will be scaled automatically if the new iPhone has a higher resolution screen. I don't want to have to redo everything in a hypothetical "iPhone 8" canvas but would rather XD add a setting that allows exporting at 4x or something like that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Because you're designing with vectors, your design can be exported at any higher DPI with no loss in quality.  Android actually has a 4x DPI already, so when you export assets for Android XD will automatically create images that big right now.

Newer phones sometimes have different physical screen sizes too, though.  If the screen is much larger (or smaller), you probably don't want to just rescale your design as-is -- you'll want to keep individual UI elements a similar physical size and adjust t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because you're designing with vectors, your design can be exported at any higher DPI with no loss in quality.  Android actually has a 4x DPI already, so when you export assets for Android XD will automatically create images that big right now.

Newer phones sometimes have different physical screen sizes too, though.  If the screen is much larger (or smaller), you probably don't want to just rescale your design as-is -- you'll want to keep individual UI elements a similar physical size and adjust the layout to make use of the increased screen real estate.  This is why XD gives you separate artboard presets for, for example iPhone 5, iPhone 6/7 regular, and iPhone 6/7 Plus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines