Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Sublayers to JPG

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to find a script that can export sublayers to JPG files. I did find some scripts that work but they only look at the top-layers, not at the sublayers.

My Illustrator files looks like this:

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-13 om 14.55.17.png

What I want is a a script that will export the sub-layers in the layer Print into individual JPG files. The filename will be the name of the file itself + the layer name of that specific layer. So Filename_Option 1.jpg etc... Sometimes we have a second layer with sublayers that also needs to be exported to JPG's. I'm thinking to make an Action that first will delete the layers Languages, Working sheet and Background leaving only the layers in place that needs to be exported. But I can't find a script that can export the sub-layers.

This is the script I could find that almost does the job: Scripting Illustrator: Export Layers as Images

But this script only exports the layer Print and does not look at the sublayers in it.

I hope someone can help!

Jeffrey

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Illustrator Scripting​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this script out, it exports a jpeg with all default options.

#target illustrator

function test(){

var doc = app.activeDocument;

var destPath = (doc.path != "")? doc.path : "~/Desktop";

var hiddenTopLayers = [], thisTopLayer;

for(var i=0; i<doc.layers.length; i++){ // hide all visible top-level layers

thisTopLayer = doc.layers;

if(thisTopLayer.name != "Print" && thisTopLayer.visible == true){

thisTopLayer.visible = false;

hiddenTopLayers.push(thisTopLayer);

}

};

var printLayer = doc.layers.getByName("Print"), thisSubLayer, thisSubLayer2;

for(var i=0; i<printLayer.layers.length; i++){ // go through every "Print" sublayer and hide all others to show only the one

thisSubLayer = printLayer.layers;

for(var j=0; j<printLayer.layers.length; j++){

thisSubLayer2 = printLayer.layers;

if(j == i){

thisSubLayer2.visible = true;

} else {

thisSubLayer2.visible = false;

}

};

// export the file with all default options

doc.exportFile(File( destPath + "/" + doc.name.replace(/\.\w{2,3}$/, '') + "_" + thisSubLayer.name ), ExportType.JPEG, new ExportOptionsJPEG());

};

for(var i=0; i<doc.layers.length; i++){ // make visible all previously-hidden top-level layers

doc.layers.visible = true;

};

};

test();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but this script doesn't seem to work. I tried it in Illustrator CS4 and in the newest Illustrator CC. I'm not into the scripting.

I just pasted this into a .jsx script file and then went to Illustrator > File > Scripts > Other Script to load this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I did notice a mistake at the end of the script, which should not affect the general ability though. Do you have your "Print" layer in the document? And, is it saved - because if it's new and not saved, the files will be exported to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I still can't get it to work...

Silly-V  schreef

Do you have your "Print" layer in the document? And, is it saved - because if it's new and not saved, the files will be exported to the desktop.

Yes, the Print layer is in the document and the document is saved. Then I try to load the script but nothing happens. No files on my desktop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you sure that what you have inside of the Print layer are sub-layers and not just groups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I check the difference? If I unfold a ''sub-layer/group'' in the Print layer this is what I get:

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-18 om 16.32.25.png

So as you can see there are multiple objects inside the ''sub-layers/groups'' inside the Print layer but I don't know how to see the difference between a sub-layer or a group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read this:

''Layers and sublayers appear with a grey background in the layer window. Groups appear with a white background in the layer window. But they both seem to have an identical behaviour.''

Source: Adobe Illustrator - What is the difference between a Layer and a Group? - Stack Overflow

As you can see the background of the ''sub-layers'' are white meaning they are Groups (I think)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay give this one a try now.

#target illustrator

function test(){

var doc = app.activeDocument;

var destPath = (doc.path != "")? doc.path : "~/Desktop";

var hiddenTopLayers = [], thisTopLayer;

for(var i=0; i<doc.layers.length; i++){ // hide all visible top-level layers

thisTopLayer = doc.layers;

if(thisTopLayer.name != "Print" && thisTopLayer.visible == true){

thisTopLayer.visible = false;

hiddenTopLayers.push(thisTopLayer);

}

};

var printLayer = doc.layers.getByName("Print"), thisSubLayer, thisSubLayer2;

for(var i=0; i<printLayer.groupItems.length; i++){ // go through every "Print" sublayer group and hide all others to show only the one

thisSubLayer = printLayer.groupItems;

for(var j=0; j<printLayer.groupItems.length; j++){

thisSubLayer2 = printLayer.groupItems;

if(j == i){

thisSubLayer2.hidden = false;

} else {

thisSubLayer2.hidden = true;

}

};

// export the file with all default options

doc.exportFile(File( destPath + "/" + doc.name.replace(/\.\w{2,3}$/, '') + "_" + thisSubLayer.name ), ExportType.JPEG, new ExportOptionsJPEG());

};

for(var i=0; i<hiddenTopLayers.length; i++){ // make visible all previously-hidden top-level layers

hiddenTopLayers.visible = true;

};

};

test();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

But with this script I'm getting an error (tried it in CS4 and CC):

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-19 om 10.12.04.png

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-19 om 10.16.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, can you post a link to your file? I want to be able to do a test on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, you can download two test AI files with this link:

https://we.tl/XN5DyqE63t

(files will automatically be deleted in 7 days)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH, I think that's cause you've got "print" and my script , at least one part of it works with it being case-sensitive, so it was looking for "Print". For those who are not aware, the getByName() function is case-insensitive - so the script failed only due to the very first part of the routine where it hides all layers not named "Print". It does so by comparing names exactly, so because "print" isn't "Print", the "print" layer got hidden. The hiding is so any other layers that are not the "Print" will be out of view when a JPG is exported, and at the very end those layers which were hidden get un-hidden again to return to the original view. Well, since the layer we want to work on ("print") got hidden, the rest of the script fails because you can't mess with items of a layer which is locked or hidden (I'm sure there's various situations when this is true & not, for example you can probably rename something via script inside a hidden layer... So - what can you do, you can either stick to calling them "Print", or just replace all "Print" with "print" in the script. And yes it's definitely groups, not sub-layers - which could also be confusing at first because of the colloquial tendency to refer to any art object inside a top-level layer as "sublayer" whereas those objects could be groups and paths and images, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!! It works, thanks a lot! I'm almost there, two more questions and if that works it's PERFECT

Question 1

Is there any way the export quality of the exported JPG can be set? Now it's exported at (low quality) 72DPI. For me it works better to get 300DPI JPG files. Where can this be changed?

Question 2

Also, in the second test file I send you you can see a few other layers+sublayers that needs to be exported.

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-24 om 08.44.45.png

Now, the script only looks at the Print layer. Is there a way you tell the script that he has to export every single layer+sublayer except Languages, Working sheet & Background ? Because sometimes we have files that have look like that also. So more than the Print layer.

Now that I'm starting to understand how the script works, I think that when the script is told that Languages, Working sheet & Background should be hidden and the other layers should be exported it should work right? Because these 3 layers are always there and always shouldn't be exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Silly-V

I'm hoping you can answer my last question. Because that's the only thing that I would like to have changed. After that the script is perfect. Thanks for your help so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, say, can you upload a file that's a typical one which describes your 2nd question situation for my testing purposes please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure!

Download link: https://we.tl/sK9yOKPNyo (files will automatically be deleted in 7 days)

Which contains:

• Test file-1.ai
  • Test file-2-extra.ai
  • Test file-3-extra.ai

Test file-1.ai is the exact same one which I'm describing in my 2nd question.

As you can see I also added two extra test files so you have enough files to try the script on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OkY, I got quite a bit of work to get through, hopefully can squeeze this in sometime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! No rush man! Just look at it when you have time, no problem!

I'm already very thankful for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly-V Not trying to rush you but did you had a chance to look at this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I think their inbox thing is broken - I can't access or read or click on any of your communication messages

Guess we'll have to chat right here. Can you please put the link back up, I need to DL the files on my other computer, sorry for the delay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no problem! Thanks for answering anyway

This is the new link with the same files as the first download link!

https://we.tl/NjypMn6pWV

Which contains:

• Test file-1.ai
  • Test file-2-extra.ai
  • Test file-3-extra.ai

Test file-1.ai is the exact same one which I'm describing in my 2nd question.

As you can see I also added two extra test files so you have enough files to try the script on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly-V​ Have you downloaded the files already? Because the link is almost expired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I got them all on all my machines. Sorry I've been caught up with this thing I have to get ready before I go to this convention, for a 5-minute demonstration among the people who are tons and tons smarter than I! But I'm working on this on my home computer, I'll get to it asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines