Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 ver 1703 (Creators Update): No GPU acceleration any more

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

after I upgraded to the actual Windows Version 1703 I can use software encoding only ("Mercury Playback Engine - only software") in Adobe Media Encoder. Encoding Times are much longer than before (CUDA I think was ne normal option before)

As I can't find any problems regarding to the 1703 update, this seems to be no common issue. Anyone has any ideas what I can do to get CUDA encoding again? If not, I would deinstall the 1703 update as the next step.

Thanks for any help!

Greetings

Eddie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

With Nvidia driver version 381.89 I still have the problem, that I have no CUDA after a reboot. Reinstalling the Nvidia driver and CUDA wirks for now, reboot OpenGL and CUDA Acceleration for Nvidia gone. I tried deinstalling the driver, also trough device manager with deleting the driver, and also with IObit uninstaller (remove everything first, than reboot, than install nvidia driver again), nothing helped

Tested driver versions:

376.67 (from Lenovo)

378.92 (from Nvidia)

381.65 (from Nvidia)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eddie,

Win version is 1703 but you're looking for the OS build to determine Creators update. It should be 15063.138 and is listed on the same winver screen.

If you do have it then my suggestion would be to downlaod your Nvidia drivers from Nvidia and reinstall. I use Cubase and had to reinstall my License Control Center, and my wife uses Start/Stop and she had to reinstall as well. So the update does seem to break a few things that only need a reinstall to fix.

BTW, I have Creators Update and my Cuda is still working. So it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Idea! Yes, that seems to be the problem, weird:

I reinstalled 381.65, same again: Only Software.

Than I uninstalled the driver and restarted: Only Software.

Than uninstall the drivers via Device-Manager for both, Intel and Nvidia: Than I had Software and CUDA.

After a restaring Win10 uses the Microsoft default Driver and now I have Software and OpenGL (!!).

So now I'm playing around with older Versions, as I assume 381.65 is the problem. I'll give you an update on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eddie,

You sound like you're pretty familiar with Windows. Here's my suggestion: turn off the Windows 10 setting for automatically installing device drivers.

It's under System (right click start button to get the entry) / System info (on the right of that screen) / Advanced System settings / Hardware tab / Device Installation settings. Select No.

This will disable Windows 10 annoying habit of updating every driver with the ones it finds.

Then reinstall the driver that worked properly.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, update as promised:

After deinstalling any nvidia drivers, I installed the newest drivers from Lenovo (376.67). Still Software + OpenGL. So now reinstalling 381.65 again, still Software + OpenGL.

Well, OK, OpenGL is better than Software, and it works also with the newest nvidia driver... I just wonder why I can't choose CUDA any more (no idea if that would be better or not, that was just my setting before the update). I tried the settings in Nvidia control panel, that Adobe Encoder should use Nvidia or Intel.. tried both: Software+OpenGL.

Well OK, it this is solved for me as I can use something else than Software Only, but it's still confusing.

@Resh: Thank, I'm more familiar with Linux, as I hate shit like this! Only using Windows for Premiere Pro.

Yes, I already disabled driver + feature update and want to install them by myself, after really bad experience with the 1607 anniversary update: The newest Premiere Pro at this time had memory issues, and the version before always crashed with 1607. So went back to the older release and everything was fine again. So now, as I only heard good news about 1703 and coudn't find any bad reports in this Forum, I tried the update and ran into trouble again... well, I hate Windows!

Oh, and yes, 15063.138 is my build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Premiere team worked a lot on improving OpenCL performance a few versions back so now you should be getting very similar to identical performance from OpenCL and CUDA. If you wanted to use the old Ray-Traced 3D engine in After Effects you would need CUDA for it to be GPU-accelerated, otherwise CUDA and OpenCL provide the same supported GPU-accelerated features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Adobe might have optimized OpenGL, but I think if CUDA or OpenGL works faster is something NVIDIA and their driver-optimization is also important. After working a view days with OpenGL I can say for sure, thats it behaves slower than before.

I also found another interesting thing:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017>gpusniffer.exe

--- OpenGL Info ---

Vendor: Intel

Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

OpenGL Version: 4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4534 21.21.13.7892

GLSL Version: 4.40 - Build 21.20.16.4534

Monitors: 2

Monitor 0 properties -

Size: (0, 0, 2560, 1440)

Max texture size: 16384

Supports non-power of two: 1

Shaders 444: 1

Shaders 422: 1

Shaders 420: 1

Monitor 1 properties -

Size: (2560, 0, 2560, 1440)

--- GPU Computation Info ---

Found 1 devices supporting GPU computation.

OpenCL Device 0 -

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Capability: 2

Driver: 2

Total Video Memory: 12867MB

Adobe seems to not recognizing my NVIDIA card...  but it's there in device manager and also in nvidia control panel everything is valid... so, neverless might there be an issue with NVIDIA an Adobe and Creators Update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI:

OpenCL Score     18489     Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

OpenCL Score       9704     GeForce 940MX

CUDA Score         10430    GeForce 940MX

Geekbench4 on the same system.  I don't know if it is valuable to compare these results 1:1 (if the Intel HD Chip is so much faster, it would not make any sense to add the Nvidia chip to the notebook), but i think two conclusions are OK:

1. Intel performs better with OpenCL than Nvidia

2. Nvidia performs better with CUDA than OpenGL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmn...don't know what to suggest then, Eddie. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

That's good to know, too, David. Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I fixed it by using the Windows show/hide update troubleshooter package. Just download that and hide the updates that correspond to the drivers it's trying to install. Every day or so windows will update my nvidia drivers without asking me then I will come back to a black screen and have to manually reboot. It was really getting annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your CUDA driver up to date? Just to be clear, your there's your video driver AND the CUDA drivers that you need to have up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, your there's your video driver AND the CUDA drivers that you need to have up to date.

That only applies to Macs.  The Windows display driver includes both, and installing a separate CUDA driver on a Windows system has caused issues, so is not recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim. That's what I thought. I'm on Cuda 8 and never installed it once.

The big ACP button under David's name convinced me I might be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry guys, you're right. If I thought about what I was writing first that would have made sense. The only reason Macs have the separate CUDA driver is because the main driver comes with MacOS.

I'll just stay over here under my ACP button now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, final results:

Back to 1511: CUDA works. But: Every keyboard (laptop internal as any USB-keyboard) does not work any more. Also tried everything in the device manager to solve that by uninstalling & reinstall the device and/or driver, no chance.

So again installing 1703: CUDA works when re-installing the NVIDIA driver, but does not work after a restarting Windows. Install Nvidia driver again -> CUDA available; restart -> no CUDA.

Tested driver versions:

376.67 (from Lenovo)

378.92 (from Nvidia)

381.65 (from Nvidia)

I don't know what went wrong with the keyboard after the downgrade, but after all there seems to be issues with Adobe and CUDA in Windows 10 v1703.

Well, I hate Windows! 😉

GPUSetter Infos after resinstalling Nvidia driver and before restarting Windows:

--- OpenGL Info ---

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Renderer: GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 381.65 22.21.13.8165

GLSL Version: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Monitors: 2

Monitor 0 properties -

Size: (0, 0, 2560, 1440)

Monitor 1 properties -

Size: (2560, 0, 2560, 1440)

--- GPU Computation Info ---

Found 3 devices supporting GPU computation.

CUDA Device 0 -

Name: GeForce 940MX

Vendor: NVIDIA

Capability: 5

Driver: 8

Total Video Memory: 2048MB

OpenCL Device 1 -

* Not chosen because of initialization failure.

OpenCL Device 2 -

* Not chosen because of initialization failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, what is the answer exactly?

1. After a reboot, re-install Nvidia drivers?

2. DON'T use Windows 10 Creator Update?

3. ???

This sounds like it's still outstanding and that we're waiting for a proper fix from Adobe/Microsoft/Nvidia on this. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right: There still is an issue that should be fixed, but who's fault is it? Who should fix it?

There are users who work with Windows 10 1703, Adobe CC 2017.x, Nvidia AND they can use CUDA. So there is no general bug. I assume if I would reinstall Win 10 I also would have no issues any more, so there are issues after updates.

Whose fault is it?

Nvidia? I don't use games, but the Nvidia-CUDA infrastrukture seems to work: Everything is fine in the device-manager and the nvidia control panel with their own animation works. So I assume the Nvidia driver and CUDA works fine on my system in general. In Magix Video Pro X the Nvidia card is also recognized, while gpusniffer from adobe only recognize the intel-card.

Adobe? Same issues after 2017.0 -> 2017.1 update: CUDA only works after reinstall the Nvidia driver. And other people have no issues like that. I hope someone from adobe has seen the gpsniffer logs as I send this thread to adobe.

Microsoft? Probably yes: It's an problem with the update, but they won't care! As every time the other companies should adapt their software.

Lenovo? Also possible, as the Nvidia and Intel (both!) updates are still popup in "Lenovo System Updater", even it they are installed! So perhaps there is something wrong, with the drivers Lenovo pushes out in combination with 1703 update? I can use drivers from nvidias website (see below: tested different versions), but I'm not able to install the Intel Graphics driver from Intel directly (installation denied with the warning to use only drivers from notebook-vendors)

So yes, my advice with this answer is:

1. If you can avoid, don't do the Windows-Update now. Hopefully the issue is fixed in future releases. As we'll see those updates 2x a year ("windows as a service"), don't do them directly after release! Deactivate the Funktion in Windows-Updates.

2. If you already installed the upgrade to 1703 and you also have this issue: Don't waste time with reinstalling Premiere, use external uninstallers (I tried to remove Nvidia & Intel stuff with IObit uninstaller).

Here is a workaround: Reinstall Nvidia driver before using Adobe Premiere. Use GPUSniffer to see, if Adobe recognize the Nvidia card or not:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017\GPUSniffer.exe"

Tested driver versions:

376.67 (from Lenovo)

378.92 (from Nvidia)

381.65 (from Nvidia)

381.78 (from Nvidia, hotfix for notebook-chips)

Tested Premiere Pro versions:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVidia released an update a day ago - 381.89 - and that seemed to have fixed my problem from the perspective that I wasn't experiencing a crash. I'm using the GTX 1050.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eddie,

Glad you found a solution.

The Creators update reset all the settings on my system, including keeping the drivers updated by default. I had to go through and put everything back the way I had it.

Your losing Cuda after reboot sure sounds like something was set differently from 1607.

Oh well...moot point... at least you can work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening in Illustrator and Photoshop(No compatible GPU found)

My observations:

I updated win 10 (creators update).In the same time updated nvidia drivers to 381.65. Result: No gpu acceleration

I rolled back gpu drivers to previous 378. Result: Gpu acceleration is working

On 25.04 new nvidia driver came out 381.89 Result: No gpu acceleration

Using GTX 970

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Nvidia driver version 381.89 I still have the problem, that I have no CUDA after a reboot. Reinstalling the Nvidia driver and CUDA wirks for now, reboot OpenGL and CUDA Acceleration for Nvidia gone. I tried deinstalling the driver, also trough device manager with deleting the driver, and also with IObit uninstaller (remove everything first, than reboot, than install nvidia driver again), nothing helped

Tested driver versions:

376.67 (from Lenovo)

378.92 (from Nvidia)

381.65 (from Nvidia)

381.78 (from Nvidia, hotfix for notebook-chips)

381.89 (from Nvidia)

Further tests:

1. Geekbench behaves exactly like Premiere: Works after reinstall, but the nvidia card is not available for choosing after a reboot.

2. In GPU-Z the Nvidia Card is present, but OpenGL, CUDA and PhysiX are disabled, see screenshot. Reinstall the same Nvidia driver and the three functions are active, reboot disabled again.

So in conclusion: This seems to be not a problem from Adobe (only for Adobe-Users ), instead from NVIDIA/Microsoft. I hope it's OK to discuss it here further anyway, cause our userbase are affected, probably with more Win 10 Users (right now most professionals will still be on Win7, I assume) and more people installing Win 10-1703 update, more and more users will be affected.

My advice is:

1. If you can avoid, don't do the Windows-Update now. Hopefully the issue is fixed in future releases. As we'll see those updates 2x a year ("windows as a service"), don't do them directly after release! Deactivate the function in Windows-Updates.

2. If you already installed the upgrade to 1703 and you also have this issue: Don't waste time with reinstalling Premiere, use external uninstallers (I tried to remove Nvidia & Intel stuff with IObit uninstaller).

Here is a workaround: Reinstall Nvidia driver before using Adobe Premiere. Use GPUSniffer to see, if Adobe recognize the Nvidia card or not:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017\GPUSniffer.exe"

Also you can use GPU-Z (see screenshots below) to test if you currently have CUDA or not.

3. User mediumrare reported that driver version 178.X works for him, he had similar problems, so try staying at that version.

Adobe.. .Please make a Linux-Version!!! DaVinci Resolve and Lightworks already have one... both seems to catch up to Premiere, if problems with Win10 goes on like this , I think users will look for alternatives, and installing Linux might be a cheaper way than buying a complete new Apple, which is valid for videocutting.

GPU-Z.PNG

gpu-z2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So today I installed Windows 10 update v1703 [KB4016240]

Than updated from 378(last correctly working) to 381.89 nvidia driver.

That seem to fix issue with Photoshop and Illustrator gpu detection.

In Premiere pro and Media Encoder Cuda is enabled but I didn't check it before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines