Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tools not sticking in Acrobat X Pro

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symptom

Every time I add the 'Place Signature' quick tool (or any quick tool, but place signature is the one I'm always going for), Acrobat X Pro never stores the quick tool after I close the PDF document.  If I open a new PDF document/window while I have an existing one open with a new quick tool added, the recently added quick tool appears on the new PDF document/window, but if I close all of my opened PDF files, I have to re-add the quick tool again upon re-opening Acrobat.  However, I do have other quick tools that I had added before Acrobat X Pro stopped storing new quick tools and the old quick tools appear every time I open Acrobat (i.e. text box, rectangle, line, add bookmark, etc.)

My System

• Dell/Windows 7
  • Adobe Acrobat X Pro
  • Starting Version: 10.1.1

Troubleshooting Attempts

• Repaired install from Control Panel and Acrobat Pro, no fix
  • Updated Acrobat X Pro to 10.1.16, no fix
  • Checked the "Restore last view settings..." box (was originally unchecked), no fix
  • Adding quick tools from both right-clicking on the quick tool bar and dragging from tools pane, no fix
  • Resetting tools bars (now my old quick tools that were stored are now gone), further degraded
  • Reinstalled Acrobat X Pro using Control Panel, Adobe CC Cleaner Tool, and fresh download of Adobe Web Premium CS6, no fix

Observations

• I can add and delete the common tools (i.e. page navigation, etc.) and they will store, but not all of them will: 'Acutal Size', 'Fit Width' (in Select & Zoom nor Page Display), and 'Marquee Zoom' are the ones I selected that didn't store.  I was able to add all of the common tools from Rotate View and Page Navigation.
  • I can change the order of the existing quick tools and the order will store.
  • Adobe Acrobat X Pro does not have a "Sign In" or any online features to my knowledge, so there is no syncing issue.
  • Properites of quick tools (i.e. font size, color, border thickness, background color, etc.) do no store either.
  • To add on to my "always going for" place signature comment above, Acrobat is also not storing my one and only signature file.

Unattempted Actions

• Plist file manipulation
TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I reinstalled, I can no longer receive updates greater than 10.1.11.  I was on version 10.1.16 before I reinstalled and I was on 10.1.1 when I started troubleshooting this issue.

WHERE IS MY HELP!?  We pay a premium for these products and they're breaking!  This is BS support for whats turning into a crap product.  I might as well go back to scanning my signature at the multi-function machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, support for Adobe Acrobat 10.x and Adobe Reader 10.x ended on November 15, 2015.

That said, my guess is that your registry, or at least the Acrobat section of your registry is corrupt which is where these settings get stored on Windows. Given that other quick tools that stuck but now ones don't, I suspect that it's Windows that broke your copy or Acrobat, not that Acrobat just stopped working.

Also, you can manually download the updates all the way to version 10.1.16 at the link below.

Update and patch Acrobat 10.x or Reader 10.x on Windows or Mac OS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After deleting the entire 10.0 entry under Adobe Acrobat in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER tree and re-opening Acrobat, I was able to store the Quick Tools I was once able to before I had reset the toolbars.  However, the 'Place Signature' tool (among others) still won't store nor will it remember the location of the signature file.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I booted up an old VM of Acrobat X and I'm not having any trouble. Have you tried running Acrobat as administrator?

J-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just now, I closed all of the pdf files I had opened, right-clicked Adobe Acrobat X Pro within All Programs, selected Run as Administrator, opened a pdf file, added the Place Signature quick tool, placed a signature, saved the pdf, closed the pdf, and re-opened the pdf.  The tool still didn't store nor did the signature file location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the plist stuff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac related... plist doesn't apply to Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thank you for trying Joel.  At least I know my pleas didn't fall on deaf ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying by the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same issues with the icons not sticking in the quick toolbar. I can add them but, once I exit out of Adobe and open it backup the icons are gone.

I tried repairing Adobe as well as reinstalling it with out success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines