• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour Swatches...how to see where they are used?

Contributor ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with some colour swatches that I know to be and stay unused (Changed to spot->output PDF, in the PDF, there is no plate with that spot colour). But when selecting the unused swatches, they do not get selected. I was able to detect the culprit for 2 colours (unused character style). But now, I have no unused character or paragraph styles anymore and still colours that indicate usage.

Isn't there a find command to find those elements?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many places where those unused swatches can hide...

Here's probably the most common one:

1. Paragraph style B is based on paragraph style A
  2. Paragraph style A uses swatch X (the one you wan't to get rid of)
  3. Paragraph style B uses swatch Y
  4. Paragraph style A is not in use in your document. But... it is said to be in use (because of 1.) and so will be swatch X

About a method (script?) helping to clean this up, or at least to point those swatches, I'm not aware of any.

I'd be glad to hear about one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to save your file in idml.

then reopen it and select unused swatches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may still find interesting this old thread, and the script in the last post.

It didn’t find simple colored text for me.

However: it found a line with 0 pt weight and ’filled’ with some test color. You’re right - such an object is simply invisible. However, script found it for me.

So: not a Swiss knife, but can be useful sometimes. Especially if you’re not going to get rid of a color, just want to find out where it is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A new update that is extremely useful is that you can now search for colours. You can just press CTRL + F and click Color. 

You can also right click on the swatch in the swatches panel and select "find this colour".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines