Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon Profiles

Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Canon profiles for recent camera are made with an "adobe98" rendering intent, instead of "srgb" rendering intent.

When i open a raw for 5DMarkIII / 6D / 1DX i have a "srgb" rendering intent.

When i open a raw for 5DS/R / 1DX Mark II / 5DMark IV, i have an "adobe98" rendering intent.

To explain that :

When i open a raw in DPP (digital photo professional) :

- 5DMarkIII / 1DX / 6D raw file with "sRGB / sRGB" settings, the rendering is ok.

- 5DMarkIII / 1DX / 6D raw file with "sRGB / adobe98" settings, the rendering is nok : strong contrast.

- 1DX Mark II / 5DS(R) / 5DMarkIV raw file with "sRGB / sRGB" settings, the rendering is ok.

- 1DX Mark II / 5DS(R) / 5DMarkIV raw file with "sRGB / adobe98" settings, the rendering is nok : strong contrast.

Now, if i open the same raw in Camera Raw :

- 5DMarkIII / 1DX / 6D raw file are opened like if it was "srgb / srgb" from DPP, and it's the same rendering, so it's ok.

- 1DX Mark II / 5DS(R) / 5DMarkIV raw file are opened like if it was "srgb / adobe98" from DPP, so it's nok. Strong contrast !

To test that, i had made some dcp profile and set them with the colors from the original file, but with the curves of other dcp profiles.

For example, i had opened raw file from 5DMarkIV camera but with dcp profile with 5DMarkIII / 1DX / 1DX Mark II / 5DSR tone curve... And the results are :

with 5D Mark III tone curve : the image is displayed similar than what i get in DPP "srgb/srgb".

with 1DX tone curve : the exact same thing than 5D Mark III tone curve...

with 1DX Mark II tone curve : hard contrasts like "srgb/adobe98" in DPP.

with 5DSR tone curve :  hard contrasts like "srgb/adobe98" in DPP.

If i open a 5DMarkIII raw file in camera raw with a profile with 5DMarkIV tone curve, i got the same rendering as in DPP with the setting "srgb/adobe98".

So, with older canon camera, adobe has made profile with "srgb" rendering intent (taking in example srgb/srgb from dpp).. And for new camera, they have made an "adobe98" rendering intent (taking srgb/adobe98 from dpp).

Is it possible for adobe to make profile and makes it with the sRGB rendering intent ?

Thank you !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know RAW Image data is a mosaic of red, green, and Blue pixels.  The is no RGB Color or Color Profile. Raw converters can convert the mosaic into an RGB image in any color profile. The one use by many is ProPhotoRGB.  Canon DPP raw converter may convert the RAW data very differently than ACR does. It may apply some Canon Camera setting image preferences that ACR does not.  Adobe provides may Canon Profiles and you can change the profile used for your camera as a default.  I would not expect the different RAW converters would all produce the same default raw conversion.  You Camera Color Profile setting is most likely for the in camera RAW conversion to  an 8 bit RGB jpeg image. What color space the RAW data should be converted to

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i open my raw with :

Capture one, DxO, viewer (macosx), etc... They all take an "srgb look" with some minors difference with colors etc. That's a fact and i'm ok with it : they all opens the raw with differences. Minor differences...
But...
Camera Raw have a look very contrasty like "adobe98".

My post was showing how i was seing that.

In DPP, when i force "adobe98" instead of "srgb", I got the exact same look as in Camera Raw (contrasts etc).

And of course, in DPP i have put the raw with all settings desactivated.
Just a thing i considere: adobe in their "camera standard" profile tend to mimic the "camera standard" from dpp.
That's always the case for all the camera (example above:  5DMarkIII etc.).
But for "old" cameras they have done a srgb "look", but for some new camera they have done an "adobe98" look.

(you can try in DPP to get image/space srgb/srgb, and try image/space srgb/adobe98, and you will see how the contrast increases).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use ACR for my  Canon cameras and do not load Canon software, LR or Capture one etc.  I'm happy with ACR why would I want make work for myself load and maintain all the other software I would not use.  Maintaining and using Photoshop is more work than I need.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Image.jpg

I can't say i can be satisfied with that kind of problem :

Black clipped...
Red saturation near the strong shadows (finger / hair). Near the strong shadows, there are reds saturated tones.

I precise : I just do a clean install of mac OSX Sierra and PS, and opened the raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines