Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Action to Remove White Background in Batches

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out how to remove white backgrounds from color images (jpgs) in large batches by creating an action. I have followed step-by-step guides online to create actions, but they keep turning the pictures black/white, and I need to keep the color. I also tried downloading a pre-made action (to remove white backgrounds), but it leaves behind a lot of white around the edges of objects. Help!! If someone could give me a step-by-step plan that would be awesome. I am using Photoshop CS6 on a Mac.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Dana

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much depends upon whether the subject in each image is in sharp (edge) focus and whether the white background in each image is of a common tone value. It would be helpful if you posted a few images so that we can provide practical advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for a quick response. I attached an example picture. I have hundreds of furniture images like this that I need to remove the background. Let me know if that helps! I am trying to figure out how to automate and do it in batches (possibly with droplet function).

Thanks!

Glass Table.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The back of the glass is a bit tricky but if the backgrounds are consistent, you may write an action that:

1. Trashes the background layer lock and places a new layer below the object layer

2. Calls up Blend If with the setting shown here.

Then you have the option to save perhaps a flattened version of the image and a psd version, as well.

Click on the image below to see the Blend If setting more clearly.

blend.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The backgrounds are consistent with all the images. Can you show me how to write the action?

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YouTube videos will provide instructions for writing, testing and editing  Actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I couldn't find any that helped, unfortunately. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is because it would not be easy to automate.  While it is quite easy to replace a white background there is not a single method that will works for all replacements. For it depending on the contents of the two images.   The object with the White background may also contain white itself and the objects may not be solid so the White background may partly show through the object transparent materials.  The object may also have holes so the white background will show in the object hole area.  The white background area may not be contiguous or all white. If you remove all white you may need to add the object white areas back in,  Its easy to automate remove all white adding the required white back in is not easy to automate.

If it could be automated with Photoshop automation someone would have by now and that fact would be noted on the World Wide Web.

When you remove all white notice how Photoshop transparency checkerboard shows in the object.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If what you want is to just delete a color or range of colors in a batch process, then that is easy

(i.e., like in PowerPoint where you can select a color to become transparent).

Before you write your action, from the main menu go to {Select}{Color Range} and select the color (or range of colors) you wish to become transparent. For white, just use the eye dropper to select white on an image or on the swatches pane. Save the section result.

Now write your action: Open new action...

1) Open image

2) Set background (that is if you will import a flat image it will be in a background layer, just click on that layer and accept the option to change it to "Layer 0")

3) Do {Select}{Color Range}, but this time "load" the color selection file you previously saved

4)<Ctrl><X> ... removes the selected color

5) Save image

Save action, Run batch: Done.

If you prefer, steps 1 and 5 can be handled by the batch process rather than in your action.

Caveats: If the background color(s) is also in non-background areas it will get deleted there also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines