Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random lines jump out of right indented paragraph

Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this document, random lines appear to jump out of justified paragraphs that have a right indent. They seem to simply ignore the right indent. See image attached. Does anyone recognize this phenomenon? Should I consider this a bug?

Schermafbeelding 2017-04-11 om 08.57.07.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a wide text frame, extending as far as the page number, and you have a huge right indent on all paragraphs?

Not saying this causes it to be a problem, though. But I'm wondering why you designed it this way?

Can you post the same screenshot but also showing page margins (purple), text frame (usually cyan), and invisible characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Jongware's useful comments, presumably you're using Paragraph Styles, have you checked Indents and Spacing to see if there are any strange settings there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, is it truly "random"? (Very few things actually are, despite how frequently the term is applied these days.)

Your screen capture doesn't make it clear whether that first line is the first in a paragraph, in which case it appears to have styling that differs from the others. As Jongware requested, another capture showing invisible characters would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also worth having a look in Story Editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all, for having a look at this. [Jongware]-GfBROo​: That's correct and I agree that the method is subject to debate, but it was applied to achieve a certain flexibility towards different paragraph indents inside a single text frame. In this particular situation, using and spanning multiple columns did not suffice.

I had to remove the instance after I posted it here and so far it hasn't shown up again. I agree with John that nothing is ‘random’, but I meant that I can see no relation nor am I able to reproduce it. So that means I can’t reproduce the screenshot as you requested, but the situation is exactly like you described. I do have a video that my colleague made to illustrate what's happening. It also shows the hidden characters:

@Derek: Nothing strange with those settings.

@John: It's not the first line of the paragraph and doesn't have different styling applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines