• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help my formatting toolbar is gone

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't touched framemaker in over 10 years.  We are now going to use it for S1000D.  Oh Joy!  But while getting a feel of the software, I don't know what I did but my format toolbar is now gone?  How do I get it back?

TOPICS
XML author

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about View > Toolbars > Quick Access Bar?

VMware Fusionss_001.png

And/or, reset your workspace?

VMware Fusionss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see I don't have the table, text, or paragraph toolbar.  And for some reason, I can't crop my picture before putting it in here. I'm having a bad day.

I also do not have a "design" toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your toolbars are visible at the top, so I think you must mean panels/pods.

In my screen shot, I was showing the Design workspace. On your screen shot, you have the Authoring workspace selected. Click on Authoring (top right) and reset the workspace. And perhaps try out the other options. The job of a workspace is to control the visibility and position of the toolbars, pods and panels.

FrameMaker has changed a lot in 10 years. The panels/pods are distributed through the various menus. For example, to show the Paragraph Designer, you have to go to Format > Paragraph > Designer. To show the Conditional Text pod/panels, go to Special > Conditional Text select each of those. Basically, when you initiate an action, the appropriate pod/panel opens. You can dock them along the right side or bottom of your screen.

For example, this is a custom workspace that I use when teaching a new student. You can configure a workspace to look anyway you like. Note that this is the unstructured FrameMaker forum, so I'm showing unstructured FrameMaker.

VMware Fusionss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't go to "Format" because it is missing.  If I am in nonstructured the format is there, in the structured XML

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My master pages are not showing either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Jeff. It looks like you are using XML Author and I'm answering like you are using unstructured FrameMaker. I need to move your question to the XML Author forum so that you can get the help you need.

VMware Fusionss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all through the xml I did something to make the XML author not allow format or master page changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I will get IT to reload it back on my computer and hope it loads back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the XML Author mode, a number of the toolbars (especially anything to do with formatting) are simply not available. The intent is to have authors provide content and not have to worry about how it looks. The visual appearance is taken care of downstream in the structured FM application at the publishing stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I should set it all up in FM structured, then save as xml? I am new to the xml, I have done CMM books in structured FM many years ago. Just not sure where to start. So in structured, should I set up a template with the S1000d elements?  Does anybody know of a good training for this? I've been doing CMMs in interleaf to 30 years, but only did a few in FM years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you enabled the S1000D plug-in in FM and looked at that? Look under the Edit > Preferences > Launch and remove the s1000d scripts from the Don't Load Startup Scripts line.

FM_enable_s1000d.png

Please start a new thread on using s1000d in the Structured FM forum to continue this, as this is really veering off the original question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines