Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Cat/Windows/OSX and a NAS

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello  

I am confusing myself and would like some guidance please.

Photos are stored on a NAS drive

LR Catalogue stored on an external hard drive that can be read by both Windows and OSX (using MacDrive 10)

I have a Desktop running windows 10

MacBook Pro running OSX Sierra (my first forage into OSX) and loving it

I initially created the catalogue on Windows PC so its drive mapping is P:   (have copied this catalogue and previews etc to the external drive)

When I load the catalogue in LR via OSX it loads  P: but all the folders have ? which I know means it can't find P: and I know OSX operates in Volumes rather than drive mappings......

So! how can I use the catalogue easily between both Windows and Mac

Any help gratefully appreciated

Sarah

Screen Grab.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, right click the P drive and choose Find Missing Folder. Point it to the Mac volume and you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you will need to do a similar thing to change the "volume name" back to the drive letter when you run LR in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try to clarify this.

Windows addresses drives by letters.

OS X addresses drives by names.

When accessing the catalog file on a Windows system the catalog is looking for a drive letter where the images are stored.

When accessing the catalog file on a Mac the catalog is looking for a drive name where the images are stored.

When switching from Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac you have to do the steps mentioned in the previous posts to point the catalog to either the letter or name, Windows - Mac respectively, of the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Just Shoot Me

I've got to grips with the theory of what to do, however, when I try to update the folder location it wants to import all my photos in  

and it is going to take ages! Is that what I should be expecting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to do this in the library module or in the import dialog? You should be able to do it in the library module by right clicking on the folders and choosing to update the folder location. And if you can right-click on that P Drive and locate it then all of those subfolders should update automatically  as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

I have managed to sort this, thank you for your help, I was in the Library module but was selecting a folder a level higher than required, now all working beautifully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Update Folder Location" in this scenario. The  command, when you right-click, is Find Missing Folder.

As Jim Hess says, if you are in the Import dialog box, you are in the wrong place, you need to be in the Library Module and not the Import Dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige (my son is Darren James Page so that is rather spooky!)

I have managed to sort this, thank you for your help, I was in the Library module but was selecting a folder a level higher than required, now all working beautifully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines