• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off Relink files [unlink linked Smart Objects]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any one know how to turn of relinking files? If i move or delete files in CC when I reopen the file a window pops up telling me I need to relink the files. I use a Mac with CC2017.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if you can.  Linked Smart Objects are not stored in the files they are linked to, but exist in the mast document they were made in.  If that file location is changed, then you obviously have a problem.  Have a look at this Julianne Kost video.

27/50 – Linked Smart Objects in Photoshop CC « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Please let us know how you get on, as I for one, am not entirely sure on how they work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank you, yes that has helped, now I see why that box appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor, looking at a PSD with a linked file and comparing to one with an embedded file the answer would appear to be metadata!

The “parent” file has the following XMP metadata listed for the “child” linked file:

<xmpMM:Ingredients>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">

<stRef:linkForm>ReferenceStream</stRef:linkForm>

<stRef:filePath>file://Macintosh%20HD/Users/stephenmarsh/Desktop/linked-file.psd</stRef:filePath>

<stRef:DocumentID>xmp.did:3a044262-b960-4fd9-b3cc-02f00095bd37</stRef:DocumentID>

</rdf:li>

</rdf:Bag>

</xmpMM:Ingredients>

Now, Adobe would appear to be doing something pretty clever (at least on the Mac OS where I am testing)… If I move the child linked file to another location and then open the parent file, the link is automatically updated with no warnings or update message. Perhaps Adobe are leveraging Apple’s Spotlight feature? If I rename the linked child file in the Finder and re-open the parent file, again the link is automatically updated with no warnings or update messages. This appears to be because Photoshop is actually looking at the unique “DocumentID” entry and not the path or filename! If I delete the original child file and create a new file with the same name as the original linked file, Photoshop can’t find the original file and I am offered to relink the file – even if the path and filename are the same. This is because the unique DocumentID has changed.

Pretty cool and it goes to demonstrate again that the Photoshop development team do things quite differently than Illustrator or InDesign, even on something as “simple” as a linked file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the explanation and your help. I will use the place embedded, and place linked when finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omievicki– if you no longer wish to link to an external file, you have two options:

1) Before breaking the link, convert the linked smart object to an embedded smart object (convert to smart object)

2) Before breaking the link, convert to a raster/pixel based layer

Option 1 is better than option 2 if you prefer the flexibility of smart objects.

Originally when smart objects were introduced, there was only the option to embed, the option to link came later and was requested from many that used and understood the pros/cons of linking in other apps such as InDesign and Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I use CC for Digital Scrapbooking and often move or delete a file, then when I reopen the layered file I need to relink which is a pain.

So if I just use Place Embedded that will work too??

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, for new work use Place Embedded, while for old work that has an un-broken/correct path use Convert to Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines