• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking into text frame/selecting text causes a "spinning beachball" hang…

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

When clicking into a text frame or when attempting to select some text while in a live text frame, InDesign will often hang with the "spinning beachball" appearing. This hang will often last up to ten seconds. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this issue, sometimes I can select text without issue, but other times every attempt to select text is met with this hang. It is extremely frustrating when trying to rattle through text amends on a large document - against the clock.

I'm on a late 2013 macpro, running the latest MacOS, InDesign and v18.2.2 of Suitcase Fusion.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your InDesign Preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow)

You may have to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is the Indesign version you are using 2017.1 or 2017.0?

Also, if you are on 2017.0 can you try the solution mentioned at this page Troubleshoot text selection issues  and let us know if it helped.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 2017.0

I've tried resetting preferences many times before - this has no effect on the issue.

I have also (in the last hour or so) tried deselecting the "type contextual controls" in preferences->advanced type

This 'seems' to have solved the problem for the moment - as I've not had a 'hang' since doing this. The real test will be when I open documents again tomorrow/whenever…

If I get another hang I'll try the above linked solution.

thanks, David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David,

I would suggest that you update to CC 2017.1 or try the linked solution. This way you would also be able to use the very useful Opentype Enhancements introduced in CC 2017.0.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines