• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to clear old menu options from the "Edit With" menu?

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help. When I am in the application and I want to edit a photo or image with Photoshop I right click over the image > Edit With > and if you notice the top 4 options, or more so the top 2, adobe illustrator cc 2007.app 21.0.2 and adobe photoshop cc 2017.app 18.0.1 are both old versions. If you select either one of them you get error messages that their are files that are missing. "Some of the application components are missing from the application directory, please reinstall the application." Just so you know installing the application again does not work. Yes, If you go to applications and open the app there it works fine. Also if you open the files through the creative cloud that also works fine. If you right click over a file type and select open with and select a program that too works fine.

It is only when you select the "Edit With" menu option you get those error messages. Even if you select other and navigate to the application that does not work. It is almost like the applications the software is looking at is Cached somewhere.

I need to know where and how to remove these options in the menu. There has to be a location to removed old, outdated menu options for adobe. This is not just a Indesign problem. Pretty much happens in all the adobe applications, granted in different menu paths. I am hoping someone has a solution. Adobe help desk spent over 2 hours with no solution. The only temporary fix that we could come up with is rename the application name and then it will show up as an option to select from within this menu option.

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 7.40.24 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

I found this article about cleaning things up in Finder:

Clean out a messy Open With menu in the Finder - Six Colors

It basically shows you how to remove old apps from the database of "things can edit" certain types of files.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this article about cleaning things up in Finder:

Clean out a messy Open With menu in the Finder - Six Colors

It basically shows you how to remove old apps from the database of "things can edit" certain types of files.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great find, Buck. I picked up a few new tips from the article, including how to relaunch Finder with Opt+Ctrl clicking on the dock icon.

I looked at this question last night, and didn't have any ideas. Foolishly, I executed the command in terminal this morning before looking at my Open With menu in Finder, and Edit With menu in InDesign so I'm unclear exactly what changed. Jason, I hope you will have time to come back and post screen shots after you follow the steps... I'm very curious to find out if cleaning up the Open With menu in Finder rolls over to the Edit With menu in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at both menus (macOS and Edit With in InDesign) and didn't really find much dead wood. Decided it wasn't worth experimenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bucksommerkamp- Thank you. I ran the following script in the terminal, rebooted the machine and it actually removed the old options. Worked like a charm. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The manual steps did not work by the way, or at least for me it did not work. So the terminal part did work. Here are the steps i used

MAC-

1. Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app

2. Copied and pasted the following code in and hit enter

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

3. restart computer

@Barbbinder - Here is an updated screen shot after I ran the above steps. It now only shows the current version of the apps, also no more errors. I checked the "Open with" menu option as well and the old versions were also removed there as well. I actually went to another site to get the steps. I wanted to make sure the code I was using was legit. Basically Apple creates the list based on when you open a file with applications or the system knows what applications open the files and stores this information in the Launch Services Database. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 6.47.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's great! Thanks for cycling back with the update, Jason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines