• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export and sort by Original Date created and NOT by date of export

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a folder by exporting a selection of photos. However when I do, there doesn't seem to be a way to sort/view them by the date they were originally created

When exporting I have tried various options including 'all except camera and camera raw" but they still end up being sorted by the date I exported them - 'today's date in effect.

Help please - I want to be able to view them sequentially ...in date taken order

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program are you using?

If you are in Bridge, you can sort by Date Created in Metadata View.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - using LR CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I moved this from the non-technical Lounge to the Photoshop Lightroom forum. Someone here can answer this for you!

Best,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having this problem. When I export, I select All Metadata and the capture date is shown in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on dj_paige's reply: When LR exports a photo, it stores the capture date inside the photo's metadata.  Windows File Explorer reads that field and shows it in the "Date taken" column. 

But the Mac's Finder doesn't know how to read and display the metadata capture date.  If you're on Mac, one workaround is to get a third-party file browser to use instead of Finder. Another workaround is to sort the photos in LR by capture time and then export them using a file-naming template that assigns sequential numbers -- then Finder will show the photos in capture-date order when you sort the files alphabetically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply johnrellis - am on Mac.

I do sort the photos by capture time but not sure I understand what you mean by 'file-naming template that assigns sequential numbers please?  Could you expand/clarify please ?

Many thanks in anticipation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you looking at the image files that they are not sorted by original Capture Time? If it is in the Mac Finder, the File Manager app for OS X, then that is a flaw of Finder.

If it is in LR then just set the Sort: to Capture Time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are photos that have been exported from Lightroom into a folder on my desktop and then loaded onto a memory stick to display on a TV.

When I displayed them on the TV I realised they were in 'alphabetical' order which seems to be how they were exported into the folder.

Within LR there is no problem re sorting by original Capture time - just seems to be when exporting them that the issue arises. The act of Exporting seems to reset the date to Date Modified and all are listed as whatever day the action was enacted.

No way of changing it seems....even by selecting Arrange and a different option.

If this is an issue with Finder, is there an alternative File Manager extension/app that prevents this issue please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest in the future you stop Renaming images either on import or export. The camera will assign a file name progressively, 1, 2, 3, and so on, and will always be in order by either capture time or file name.

Your current problem is caused by either the TV, how it reads and displays images, or from Renaming them in some order not associated with either the capture time or original file name. This can happen in the LR import dialog if you have that dialog Sort: order set to anything other than Capture Time. LR will pick and chose which image to import next instead of in order as they were shot. Which will assign file names is totally random order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any Renaming during import? Screen capture as below when I import and Add from camera or card.

Once they are in camera, I tend to rename them with a Descriptor filename rather than leaving them as the 'camera number - Pxxxx etc' so that I can then place them into folders/find individual shots etc.

Equally I don't have any Renaming when Exporting but in choosing the 'filename' option I guess they are being sorted alphabetically - dohhhh! Funny how when you start to type something the lightbulb moment can happen and one wonders at one's own slowness!

I may have found a solution  - Eexporting them with Filename option set as below:-

seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use one of two methods:

I assume the photos are sorted in LR before exporting

1 Rename on export. You can add a sequence number as first file name entry. Start with 100 or 1000 if your TV does alphabetic sort, otherwise 2 beats 100.

2 Do the same renaming your files with a sequence number within LR. The original file name is stored in the EXIF data, so you can go back. Renaming files is a destructive operations and things can go wrong on your PC doing that, so only do that if you have a stable system. And be careful if the same photo resides in two catalogs, renaming can cause trouble in the other catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines