• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete photos from Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3?

Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete photos from Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3?

Also, it seems to automatically grab every photo someone emails to me, which I don't like. How do I get APL3 to stop doing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete photos: select the photos you want to delete in the grid view, press Delete, and then a dialog box will appear asking you if you want to delete the photo (remove the photo from Lightroom but leave it on your hard disk) or Delete From Disk (which both removes the photo from Lightroom and deletes it from your hard disk).

Automatically grab every photo that is e-mailed to you ... I have not heard of Lightroom doing this, unless somehow you are saving the photos from your e-mail to the folder select under Auto Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how I thought it would work, but it doesn't. I select the photos and then press the Delete key, but nothing happens -- no dialog box, no nothing. Plus, there's no Delete thing for me to click on, either.

As for Lightroom grabbing every photo, it does exactly that. I've not downloaded any photos from the camera yet because I don't want it grabbing those, either. How do I turn off/deactivate Auto Import?

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR3 is quite old, but in LRCC Auto Import is found under the File menu.  Check your settings to see if you might have a folder identified for Auto Import.

Screenshot 2017-04-14 21.41.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses from Jim and others on this. Let me offer some more details on my computer:

-- My current desktop was sort of bequeathed to me last fall by a cousin who'd just gotten a brand-new desktop and sent me his old one, which had some mileage on it but works just fine. It came with Windows 10 AND Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3. He's quite a photography buff (as am I) but is considerably more computer-savvy than I am.

-- My old computer, running XP, died late last summer. It had Picasa, which I liked, and also had a My Pictures file, which automatically received every photo I downloaded. I had to fetch them from My Pictures and put them in Picasa to work on them. No problems.

-- On my replacement desktop, though (Windows 10 and APL 3, among several other photo programs that I've not messed with yet), whenever somebody emails photos to me, they're there as attachments. But when I click on each one just to view it, APL 3 automatically pops up and "grabs" that photo, sticking it into an APL 3 thumbnail display along with every other emailed photo it's "grabbed." I don't know why it does this, but it does.

-- I  don't open up APL 3 or anything -- it just starts up automatically each time I click on an attachment photo. Then I have to wade through its repeating displays of the same thumbnails just to open up the photo on the screen for an initial viewing.

-- I want to delete all these images, but can't/don't know how. I click on one, then press the Delete key, and nothing happens.

-- I suspect my cousin had APL 3 programmed to automatically "grab" each photo that came in, whether attached to an email he received, or one that he downloaded. If that's true, I want to cancel/deactivate that function as I don't want APL 3 doing anything to any photo until I tell it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when I click on each one just to view it

What e-mail program? What is the exact thing you do "just to view it"? (We need lots of details here, not simply "click")

Did you try the advice to change the settings under Auto Import? It sounds like you did not, so please do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what you are describing above it sounds like you have Lightroom set as the default program for your photo file type (I will assume .jpg files)

To fix it: open Settings from the Windows Start menu and then search for "Choose default apps by file type"

In the list that comes up look for ".JPG" on the left side and then change the Program shown at the right from Lightroom to 'Windows Photo Viewer' or 'Photos' (or your desired viewer program) (You can Google "change default programs for Windows 10" for more detailed instructions)

After you make this change Lightroom will no longer be the associated program to open these JPEG files.

You still will be able to start Lightroom and then import the files when you are ready to do so.

-BH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did the trick! It's what I'd suspected -- my cousin had set LR as his default program for his photo files, and I'd inherited it when he sent me this computer.

My photos all now go to Windows Photo Viewer, and I don't have to put up with LR interfering with them anymore, until I learn how to use it.

My thanks to everyone for their tips and advice. A very good forum.

Rick

P.S. Any recommendations for a good how-to book that'll nursemaid me through Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3? I've not looked at B&N yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines