• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mpg frames out of order in PE 15

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit a .mpg file in Premiere Elements 15.  The video looks fine when I play it in Windows Media Player.  When I add it to a PE project it seems to have the frames out of order.  I tried to render it and the same effect is there.  It seems to flicker back and forth showing frames at random.   It's an old video from 2003.  I looked at the file properties and have this information:

width 720

height 480

DATA RATE 6000 kbps

TOTAL BIT RATE 7536 kpbs

frame rate 29 frames/second

I found one article that suggested I might have to change the settings in PE but nothing in settings seems to match. (I'm not familiar with the meaning of most of the settings).

I will greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

That was a surprise!  and a relief!   I am so grateful to you for studying it and even though there's not a fix, I feel relieved to know it's not something simple I was overlooking.  Thank you so much.

I just used copy/paste in Windows 10 to copy the file from the DVD to the hard drive on my laptop.

I have one more favor to ask.  I don't know the forum etiquette for clicking Correct Answer.  Should I click "Correct Answer" because I now have a resolution to my question or should I not check it bec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model of camcorder is this video from and what format is it? (AVI, MOV, etc.)

Also, when you add this video to the beginning of a timeline in a new project, is there a yellow orange "render" line above the clip? This would indicate that the program is not matching the project settings to the video specs.

RenderLine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding!  The video was shot in 2003 so I'm not 100% sure of the camera but it most likely would have been a Canon Powershot.   The .mpg video was then edited in Windows Movie Maker.

It does not have the render bar at top.

mpgInPE15.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture shows no yellow orange render line above the clip, which indicates that the program has matched its project settings to your clip. That's good.

But it doesn't explain why the frames are out of order. But maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by that.

Can you output your video to YouTube and then post a link to the video on this forum so we can see this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the original .mpg video before I added it to a PE project:

OriginalVideo before upload to PE - YouTube

Here is the file exported from PE.

After Export from PE - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very odd.

Can you Dropbox the original MPEG to me? I'd like to dissect it and see what it's made of. Something unconventional is likely at work.

Just share it on Drobox to my first name @ my web site muvipix dot com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded it to Dropbox and hope I shared it correctly.  I couldn't set the Share on the file to anything other than view so I put it in a Temp folder and shared the folder with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your video with me.

I dissected it, converted it, played with it in a number of ways -- I even scanned it for malware -- and, I've gotta tell you, this one stumped me! There is definitely something screwy with this clip.

It appears that this video was ripped from a DVD. You don't say how you got the video from a DVD, but it could be that the software you used did some strange things to it.

So, I'm sorry but I just don't know what to recommend. Not unless you've still got the original DVD available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a surprise!  and a relief!   I am so grateful to you for studying it and even though there's not a fix, I feel relieved to know it's not something simple I was overlooking.  Thank you so much.

I just used copy/paste in Windows 10 to copy the file from the DVD to the hard drive on my laptop.

I have one more favor to ask.  I don't know the forum etiquette for clicking Correct Answer.  Should I click "Correct Answer" because I now have a resolution to my question or should I not check it because we don't know the why of it?

I think I have the original photos used to make the videos.  I will start over from scratch in PE with the images and make a whole new video instead of trying to merge the old ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps: I do have the original DVD.  That is what I copy and pasted from just this week to try to merge the videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting the Corrector Answer option indicates that our discussion is finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you again for all your help.  I have marked this discussion as answered.  You can't imagine how nice it has been to have an expert looking into this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines