• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I convert a series of still images into a video?

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my photo camera I took a number of still images (say, 200). Now I want to create a video from these still images.

How can I do this in a single operation?

I don't want to add each of the images to the sequence and to manually adjust the length of each on the timeline.

Your help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Double-click in your project pane to bring up the import dialog. Select all your images and click the "Import JPEG sequence" checkbox (or PNG, etc..). This will create a footage item in your project that contains all your photos. You can then drag to footage item to your timeline to create a layer for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click in your project pane to bring up the import dialog. Select all your images and click the "Import JPEG sequence" checkbox (or PNG, etc..). This will create a footage item in your project that contains all your photos. You can then drag to footage item to your timeline to create a layer for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh .. Thank you for your valuable answer!

I got one question: I deleted two still images due to bad quality. When I'm now importing these images in After Effects, AE shows a warning and inserts a test screen image instead of these two missing images.

Do you perhaps know how can I edit the created sequence in order to remove the missing images from the sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can split the layer at the start of the two deleted stills (Edit -> Split Layer), then split the second layer after the two deleted stills, then delete the layer in the middle and shift the final split layer back so that it's contiguous in time to the original layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, excellent! Thank you again for helping me on this!

OK, I see: so the imported image sequence is immutable, but I can edit the composition by cutting it, right?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my photo camera I took a number of still images (say, 200). Now I want to create a video from these still images.

How can I do this in a single operation?

open the import dialog and you can select only one of the bunch and choose "Sequence" in the checkbox down below. if the items are numbered numerically, you will get a sequence. the files must be in the same folder and use the same numeric or alphabetic filename pattern.

notice the frame rate that will be the one you have in your preferences (the default is 30 fps). you can change the frame rate after the fact in the interpret footage dialog (right click on the footage, interpret footage->main)

if there are gaps in the sequence, you can use the handy "force alphabetical order" checkbox when you import the sequence.

it's all here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/preparing-importing-still-images.html#import_a_single_st...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the "Force alphabetical order" checkbox is disabled:

Aphabetic.png

Does anyone have any idea on what's causing the checkbox to be disabled and how I can enable the checkbox?

Thanks,

Axel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any idea on what's causing the checkbox to be disabled and how I can enable the checkbox?

yes, it's because you are selecting a bunch of Jpegs instead of just one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for helping!

So I cannot manually select a range of images to use as a sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I cannot manually select a range of images to use as a sequence?

you can, but the alphabetical order checkbox will be disabled for those so if there is a missing frame, you will get a missed footage color bars instead. a workaround would be: prior to importing the footage, drag the designated files to another folder and select one of them from there so you will have both check boxes.

BTW not exactly sure why Ae does not let you enjoy both options (selecting a range + alphabetical order). this looks like a bug to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Roei!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines