Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing flattened transparency in PDF from Indesign CS5.5

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
I have created a design in Illustrator and exported to PDF 1.5 which prints fine. I always save as a PDF so I can save with crop marks.

When I import the PDF into InDesign the transparent areas show up as white again.

I can import and print as a bitmap (TIFF or JPEG) or EPS but these don't include the crop marks

I have tried to flatten the problem object in Illustrator, but the transparent part of the shadow shows as white.

This is my normal workflow, so its driving me doolally.

Any help appreciated.

As it should look                                        PDF in Indesign                                                       Illustrator with flattened Alpha transparency

Leaf-trn-normal.jpg Leaf-trn-1.jpg Leaf--Alpha-trn-.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're flattening over a spot color. Stop flattening is the best answer. Turn on overprint preview is the second best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you place a file from Illustrator use either the AI file or a saved (not printed) PDF/X-4.

When you create a PDF from InDesign, don't print it, export it as PDF.

Never flatten graphics in Illustrator nor image layers in Photoshop. Why should you do so.

Never use EPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For InDesign's use you will never need crop marks. Leave them away, no one needs them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help

I managed it. I´m sure its not the only solution. In Illustrator I flattened the transparency but check boxed the "Preserve Overprints and Spot Colours" instead of the "Preserve Alpha Tranparency" option. Then exported as PDF/X-4. I could then print from from Indesign, without the previous problems.

Willi. I need crop marks to guillotine the final printed material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use AI files in InDesign you should NEVER flatten transparency in Illustrator. Why should you do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi
Because it was the only way I found to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then you have the reason of the problem not solved yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines