• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony A99 Mark II / ILCA-99M2 ARW file supported yet?

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a/the new Sony A99 Mark II/ ILCA-99M2 as well as a the now older Sonay A7R Mark II.  Lightroom CC does not read or is not able to import the A99 MARK II .ARW (RAW) files.  Is this new camera being supported by Lightroom yet?

I've tried troubleshooting by importing either the compressed or uncompressed A99 MARK II .ARW files and Lightroom cannot preview nor import the files. 

Importing from my A7RII works fine.

Anybody having issues with this and know solutions?  As of this writing, the Sony A99 II/Mark II is not officially listed the Adobe list of supported cameras yet.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Andre

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

It takes time for Adobe to provide support for new cameras. As you have noted, that model is not on the list of supported cameras. Depending on timing, it could be supported in the next update. But  there is no published timeline as to when that might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes time for Adobe to provide support for new cameras. As you have noted, that model is not on the list of supported cameras. Depending on timing, it could be supported in the next update. But  there is no published timeline as to when that might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same problem here. the raw files are most likely very very very close the ones from an A7R II.

in mac os lightroom is already showing the previews, but then it's  blocking import just because on the model name. This is ridiculous to me....

Setting the exif Sony model name is enough for adobe camera raw to import the files without any issue.

As a workaround just alter the model name with exiftool:

exiftool -SonyModelID="ILCE-7RM2" /path/to/files/*ARW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the raw files are most likely very very very close the ones from an A7R II.

But this is NOT a technical specification that Adobe can work with, and Sony (and other camera manufacturers) do not provide the exact details of the RAW file format to Adobe, so Adobe has to figure it out and it takes time.

Setting the exif Sony model name is enough for adobe camera raw to import the files without any issue.

As a workaround just alter the model name with exiftool:

exiftool -SonyModelID="ILCE-7RM2" /path/to/files/*ARW

Sure, this is great, until something happens that causes a problem, perhaps a photo isn't read properly, and suddenly the image doesn't appear to be rendered correctly. Adobe doesn't take this path, they want to be SURE there won't be problems, that takes time, and in my opinion Adobe is doing the right thing. The last thing they want is people screaming that their photos are being rendered properly, or worse yet being damaged by Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now April 2017 . The list shows that sony a99 ii is supported but it still does not import sony a99 M2 raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is supported since 6.8 / 2015.8 - which is quite some time now. Cameras supported by Camera Raw

You need to update your LR: Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that is exactly what I said . Despite adobe suggesting that it supports it it actually does not. My lightroom and all adobe applications are up to date yet I can not open sony a99m2 raw files .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fayyazq  wrote

My lightroom and all adobe applications are up to date yet I can not open sony a99m2 raw files .

Two options:

1. Your Lightroom version is CC 2015.7 or lower, or
  2. Your Raw files are corrupt in some way

Can you post a screenshot of your About screen in Lightroom to confirm exactly which version is running?

Mine looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 5.52.21 pm.png

I have just now successfully opened Sony A99 Mark II Raw files from

Sony A99 II Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 5.56.23 pm.png

If you still have trouble, please upload a sample Raw file and post a link here so we can download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they open in light room but not in adobe CS6 even though my sony a7r2 files do open there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The A99 Mark II requires Camera Raw 9.8 or later, so they will never be able to be opened in Photoshop CS6 because it will only support up to Camera Raw 9.1.1. You can convert the raw files to DNG and open them. But there will never be support for the native raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What Jim said.

You need 9.1.1 for the A7R II which is compatible with CS6 so the fact that you can open them means you've got 9.1.1 installed.

That's the end of the road for CS6 and Camera Raw updates. There will be no more updates. So you'll never get support for the A99 II which requires 9.8.

So import the A99 II Raw files into Lightroom as DNG files. Then edit the DNG files (not the Raw files) in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines