• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro for Mac CRASHES and cannot find moved or renamed PDF files, or files with highlighted text (yellow fluorescent marker)

Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro for Mac CRASHES and cannot find moved or renamed PDF files, or files with highlighted text (yellow fluorescent marker)

These issues have been around forever. I reported this on 15th September2011:

Adobe Acrobat X Pro 10.1 cannot find recent files or files with edited names

Adobe Acrobat Pro cannot find moved files or files with edited names

Yet, the problems remain with latest Adobe Acrobat Pro Document Cloud (DC) ContinuousTrack 2017.009.20044. I have also reported to

Feature Request/Bug Report Form to no avail:

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

ISSUES:

1. Adobe Acrobat Pro CRASHES if you open a PDF file, edit it (for instance using the highlight text yellow fluorescent marker), RENAME such file in the Mac Finder and then try to save it from Acrobat Pro.

2. Adobe Acrobat Pro CRASHES if you open a PDF file, edit it (for instance using the highlight text yellow fluorescent marker), MOVE it to other place in the Mac Finder and then try to save it from Acrobat Pro.

3. Adobe Acrobat Pro FAILS TO OPEN files showing in "File - Open Recent File" if such file has been RENAMED in Mac Finder since last time it was saved. You get the error: "The file you are trying to open is no longer available and cannot be opened.

4. Adobe Acrobat Pro FAILS TO OPEN files showing in "File - Open Recent File" if such file has been MOVED in Mac Finder since last time it was saved. You get the error: "The file you are trying to open is no longer available and cannot be opened.

This is really frustrating, since it causes data loss. Yet, such issues could be fixed. Indeed, applications like Microsoft Word do not have any of the above problems, since it automatically updates file names and position in Mac Finder. It would be great if Adobe could fix these serious productivity issues, which have plagued Acrobat for many years now.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any crash is frustrating, and no application should ever crash. You are however preaching to the choir here, most participants here in the forums are users of Adobe's technology, just like you. The only reliable way to provide information back to Adobe is by using the bug report form.

You are actually in a pretty good position: You know exactly what not to do in order to avoid the crash: Don't move or rename the file while it is being modified in Acrobat (or Reader). The way the PDF file is accessed while it is being displayed, requires Acrobat to access the file when you e.g. change the page that is being shown. This fails when you move/rename the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Yes, I did that, as previously in 2011

Adobe Acrobat Pro for Mac CRASHES and cannot find moved or renamed PDF files, or files with highligh...

Concerning the issue, my main point is that it is fixable (as other developers have done) if Adobe wants. Renaming files and moving them in Finder is quite useful when you download scientific articles (which usually have useless generic names) and rename then AS YOU READ and HIGHLIGHT text in the PDF as well as relocate them sorting manually into the appropriate folder depending on contents while you read them. Thus, my request. Yes, I know what you say, but I forget most of the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines