• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gridify Isn't Working in InDesign CC

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a student. I am using Windows 8 operating system and have the 2017 version of InDesign (InDesign CC).

My class project requires me to use the gridify feature to create multiple equally-spaced boxes within a rectangle frame. However, when I use the rectangle tool to draw out a rectangle and click the right arrow button (WITHOUT LETTING UP ON MY CURSOR) it automatically sets two boxes within the frame I drew and releases the frame - EVEN THOUGH I NEVER LET UP ON MY CURSOR. I have tried using the alt and shift buttons as well, and I cannot get the gridify feature to let me make more than two boxes before releasing. If I hit the right arrow button a second time while still holding down the cursor, it simply moves my two boxes over to the right.

PLEASE HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your description, it sounds like you know how this is supposed to work. I can't recreate it, so I really have to review the steps.

How many images are loaded when you drag out the box?

Can you tap the other arrow keys (up to add rows, down to remove rows, left to remove the one column you can add)?

You can always use the Align and Distribute commands to get around this, if need be. We can help with that, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I don't have images loaded yet when I draw out the box with the rectangle frame tool. I draw the tool to the desired dimensions, then while still holding down the cursor, press an arrow key. It doesn't matter which arrow key I press, it creates two frames within my original rectangle, then deselects everything (despite my still holding down the cursor). Thus, if I hit an arrow key a second time (any arrow key), it simply moves the recently created frames a step in the direction of the arrow key I pressed.

I've used the transform, the step and repeat, and the align tools to try to recreate what gridify would have created, but since I will be required to use gridify again later in this course, I'm trying to ascertain why it's not working. Is it just not enabled in the 2017 version of InDesign? I looked online for help, but the only tutorials for gridify that I could find used InDesign versions CS6 and older (my textbook uses CS6).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. Here's how gridify works when placing images...

1. File > Place
  2. Select multiple images (let's say 6)
    InDesign CCss_012.png
  3. Draw a rectangle with your loaded text cursor
  4. Tap the left arrow key to add columns, the right arrow key to add rows
    InDesign CCss_013.png
  5. Release the mouse
    InDesign CCss_014.png
  6. The loaded images flow into the grid.

You can also draw rectangles in advance without images loaded, and I'm slowly understanding that that is what you are asking about.

InDesign CCss_015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm trying to do is draw the rectangles in advance without the images loaded (your last image). Can you send instructions for how to do that? Perhaps the ones in my textbook are outdated with the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I took off in the wrong direction with the images. I'm on 2017 as well. Here is exactly what I am doing:

Select either of the rectangle tools (graphic or unassigned)

InDesign CCss_018.png

Draw a rectangle without letting go.

InDesign CCss_019.png

Without releasing the mouse button, I tap the right and up arrow keys.

InDesign CCss_020.png

Release

InDesign CCss_021.png

Am I saying anything different than what you are doing? It doesn't sound like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a short video of Gridify. It is working for me in CC 2017, but I'm on a Mac. I wonder if it's a Windows bug if you are doing it correctly.

Also, try another keyboard.

http://monarchtraining.net/images/indesign_gridify.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb (and Jane),

The process you describe is precisely what I am doing. But when I hit any arrow key, it makes a second box and then deselects everything (as if I had let up on the mouse, although I haven't). If I try hitting a second arrow key (or the first arrow key a second time) still holding down the mouse, it simply moves my two boxes over a notch.

I have tried resetting the preferences, but it still isn't working. I can't use a different keyboard because my only computer is a laptop (so the keyboard is built in). I can't figure out what is going on, unless the app I downloaded from Adobe has a bug in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using mouse, try the trackpad.

If you are using the trackpad, try a mouse.

This should work in CC 2017, and I am looking for anything that would make it not work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane has two good points: it's working for us but we are both on Macs. It would be helpful for another Windows user to chime in. A different keyboard may also be helpful.

Also, the old standby, resetting preferences. We both teach gridify to numerous students on Macs and Windows, and speaking for myself, I've never seen it not work.

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

It would be helpful for another Windows user to chime in.

In Windows, Gridify technique works exactly the same way You so nicely described. One can use Rectangle, Ellipse, Polygon, Text tools, you name it. Everything goes, what can draw a some kind of object.

At least, in Win7/CS6 and Win10/CC2017 it works for sure. I don’t believe there is any difference in Win8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely sounds like a bug with OP's original configuration...or, as Barb mentioned, you might need to reset preferences. The proper steps are being taken, but something is going awry. I second the "If a Windows user with the same versions of the OS and CC could see if they have the same issue" train of thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi slarson4,

Were you able to find success with any of the suggestions given? Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines