• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 12.1.0.56 and defined default document gone???

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did the update yesterday and noticed that no longer does it use my defined default document settings. Is this broken or has Adobe removed this feature while leaving the option for changing it there? How do I get by the new improved?? document window and have my defined default document preset come up first.... or at all??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

You can return to the previous File > New dialog if you go to Preferences > General and check "Use Legacy 'New Document' Dialog".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can return to the previous File > New dialog if you go to Preferences > General and check "Use Legacy 'New Document' Dialog".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this helps. Still not sure why they would not have default document settings with the new style, but this gets me around it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wonderings,

using the legacy dialog now, are you able to see your previously saved document settings?

Could not test this, because I did not use InDesign CC 2017 12.0.0.81 in a production environment before and did not save any document settings before. Still I do not use CC 2017.1 as my preferred production version. CC 2017 is still in testing phase for my personal use.

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure why they would not have default document settings with the new style

You are talking about the New Document presets, right?

With the Legacy New Document dialog box they are at the top:

InDesign CCss_009.png

In the revised New Document dialog box, click on the Saved tab on the top row:

InDesign CCss_010.png

And of course they are always listed here:

InDesign CCss_011.png

A benefit of the revised New Document dialog box is easy access to the new templates. You will find the templates displayed at the bottom when you select a Print, Web or Mobile Intent from the top row. The only drawback I see is the preview is now gone, and my new InDesign students really benefited from seeing the page display as they worked through the document options.

InDesign CCss_013.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all other languages but English the term 'Primary' is omitted, just 'Text frame'. Confuses the hell out of users because there is a big difference between a normal and Primary text frame.

Second: most of the templates are really, really bad! Bad in taste and design but also very, very bad in technique! If my students would design documents in the way some of these templates are set up they would fail the class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wonderings,

Please provide some more information about how do you define these default settings:

- Have you created a new document preset which you use for creating all documents? Or you have just changed some setting in Document setup dialog(File > Document Setup) when no document is open?

- What are the default settings that are not visible or are incorrect in the new "New Document" dialog?

Regards,

Aditi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File>Document Presets>Define I make my changes there to the default page layout. The "legacy new document" window goes right to my default setup and I can change from there if needed.

With the new window I have many choices, it goes immediately to "recent" and now I need to look around for one that works, or do another click to "saved" and select a saved template... which is not a saved "document preset" used in the legacy mode. Seems redundant to save a default setting, or any other setting in legacy and have to go about doing the whole thing twice to save a new preset. Under "saved" why not have any document presets already created?

Settings are all there in the new document window, just extra actions to get to something that was simple and effective before. More clicks to do what could be done with less before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Wonderings,

I understand the problem you have mentioned. Can you please log a bug for this at Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Regards,

Aditi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines