• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delaying an effect (Linear Wipe)

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 pictures shaped like an audio spectrum behind some text and I have used a Linear Wipe to make the spectrum look as if it is moving based on audio keyframes from an audio layer I have. I have used the following expression slightly modified on each image changing the amount wiped: thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider")+50 . Anyway what I am trying to do is add a delay round about a second long for each image before the expression starts taking effect.  And then for another image maybe 1.5. This is so the linear wipes will be moving at different times.

However I have no idea how to do this because I am very new to After Effects, if anybody could help me accomplish this I would really appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

set the valueAtTime expression to the audio amplitude layer in the "both channels" parameter. it will delay the time before the keyframes. as for time vs frames, I am not exactly sure if there is a difference it what you described and I think the result is what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I am trying to do is add a delay round about a second long for each image before the expression starts taking effect.

try this expression:

valueAtTime(time-2)

this will start your animation 2 seconds further in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, I have tried using your expression by adding it above the other line like this:

valueAtTime(time-2)

thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider")+60

But they still seem to be moving at the same time, unless I have setup the expression wrong?

Also, if this did work would this just delay the time before the expression starts taking effect, or would it delay the frames as well, because I am aiming to get the pictures moving at different times not just delaying the time before it starts moving.

I hope you can understand what I am talking about and if not I'll get a screenshot. Any ideas on what I should do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

set the valueAtTime expression to the audio amplitude layer in the "both channels" parameter. it will delay the time before the keyframes. as for time vs frames, I am not exactly sure if there is a difference it what you described and I think the result is what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have done what you said but the valueOnTime still doesn't seem to be making a difference. This is what I have got:

Those are the audio amplitudes, I have got 5 separate ones because of the five pictures, both set to start at different times. Here are the pictures:

As you can see they are set at the separate audio amplitudes. I'm sorry if I'm being a pain but it just doesn't seem to be working. I have got a short of the simple comp I have been trying to get working: Dropbox - Comp 1.mp4​

So this expression for some reason isn't working for me. What should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this should be your setup:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! I have got it to work now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good Job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines