Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export with new page numers

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to export a selection of my file and want this export to have new digital page numers. E.g. my document contains 100 pages, I want to export page 80-82 and want these pages to have new digital page numers 1-3.

My document does not conain any page numer boxes, so the page numer is not displayed on the page. When I make an export, the digital page number still shows 80-82 (when viewing it with for example Adobe Acrobat), although it also shows page (1 of 3), see picture.

Pagenumbers.jpg

So to be clear, I want the box where 80 is displayed to show page number 1  and when looking at the second page page number 2 etc.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

So you need the numbers to remain 80-82 in the InDesign doc, but renumber 1-3 in the PDF?

Open the 3-page PDF in Adobe Acrobat DC

View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Thumbnails

Right click page 80 > Page Labels

Acrobat Pro DCss_001.png

Choose begin new section, Style 1,2,3, Start at 1.

Acrobat Pro DCss_002.png

If you don't have Acrobat (only Reader) you might save the InDesign document as a new file. Delete the pages before and after pages 80-82, and allow InDesign to renumber the pages in the Pages panel. Then export the 3 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you doing this in InDesign? If so, what version? The screen capture you provided is in either Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot is made from Adobe Acrobat, where I want it to display the new digital page numbering.

The document is made in InDesign CC.

These are my export settings:

Untitled-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So unless you want to make a new 3-page pdf out of your file, open Acrobat and renumber there, as per my instructions above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you need the numbers to remain 80-82 in the InDesign doc, but renumber 1-3 in the PDF?

Open the 3-page PDF in Adobe Acrobat DC

View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Thumbnails

Right click page 80 > Page Labels

Acrobat Pro DCss_001.png

Choose begin new section, Style 1,2,3, Start at 1.

Acrobat Pro DCss_002.png

If you don't have Acrobat (only Reader) you might save the InDesign document as a new file. Delete the pages before and after pages 80-82, and allow InDesign to renumber the pages in the Pages panel. Then export the 3 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adding to Barbara, PDF preserves the same numbering scheme as it was created  from Indesign.

Creating sections to show desired page numbering in PDF(not a good solution) is one of the workaround that you can use. Otherwise, following what Barbara showed is a good solution

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder​

Thank you for your solution, this works for me. Too bad this isn't a (simple) option in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad it worked!

As Aman said above, Acrobat uses InDesign's numbering, which is normally exactly what we want. When I save a book to PDF that has front matter in lower case roman numerals (i.e., i, ii, iii) and the body in arabic numerals (1, 2, 3), they translate perfectly to Acrobat. The reason I know how to renumber in Acrobat is because not all programs can do this. I've spent years having to manually update the numbers in Acrobat to match the running heads. Your situation is very specialized—but luckily there is an answer for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines