• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore Link to Multiple Word Files at once

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to update my work computer and now all the previously linked word files (that were linked to word files in a sharepoint server) are now broken.  I have only been able to fix them one at a time.  I think the issue was that I had to re-map the drive on my PC and this broke the links.  Does anyone know if there is a way to repair/find these links in a more expeditious way than right clicking each individual one in the Project Manager pane?  This seems to be a very tedious process especially when I have 100+ to do.  

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Before you attempt what I'm about to suggest, make a backup of your project.

I've never been in your situation, but if I were, this is what I would try before investing a lot of time in one-at-a-time restoration of the links.

Exit RoboHelp.

Make a backup of your project folders.

Open your project folder in Windows Explorer.

Locate the "RHWordDocs.apg" file.

Open the file with Notepad.

Theory: if you find the <word_doc> section for each of your linked Word files and change the value within the <file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that I can immediately think of is to fix the mapping so that the new drive letter is what it was before.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, great idea.  That was the first thing that I did.  Checked the drive mapping was correct and folder structure was the same... alas, that didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you attempt what I'm about to suggest, make a backup of your project.

I've never been in your situation, but if I were, this is what I would try before investing a lot of time in one-at-a-time restoration of the links.

Exit RoboHelp.

Make a backup of your project folders.

Open your project folder in Windows Explorer.

Locate the "RHWordDocs.apg" file.

Open the file with Notepad.

Theory: if you find the <word_doc> section for each of your linked Word files and change the value within the <file_name> tags, RoboHelp will restore the links to your Word documents.

-----------------------

<snip>

<word_doc>

<file_name>S:\Disaster Recovery Planning\EPIC\Enterprise Electronic Medical Record_EPIC.docx</file_name>

<snip a bunch of stuff>

</word_doc>

</snip>

-----------------------

Save the "RHWordDocs.apg" file and then exit the file.

Open your RoboHelp project to see what happens.

I've never seen the data that is stored within the .cpd file so it's possible the old paths are stored there. I don't know if opening the project with the updated "RHWordDocs.apg" file will rewrite to the .cpd file or not so, if the You may also have to delete your .cpd file.

Good luck! Please reply to this thread if this works (or if it doesn't too!)

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure you meant to type:

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Paul. The CPD would likely also have a reference and that will be sourced from the file you have identified. For that reason, I would delete the CPD file before reopening the project, otherwise you might confuse the hell out of it.

Remapping would of course be the quicker option.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked with Adobe Support on the phone and this is exactly what we did.  It didn't work unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I know if I have to change the location of where the documents I link to are stored has to change that I won't be able to edit that file to make it work.

Are you now manually re-linking all your Word documents?

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I am manually re-linking them now.  I was hoping that there was some type of trick for making that process faster... oh well.  I guess this is just going to be a tedious pain in the...

Thanks for your comments and response though, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth at this stage, I just linked a document and did an update. Then I closed the project and moved the file to a different location. Opening the project showed the link was broken. I edited the RHWordDocs.apj to show the new path and deleted the CPD. On opening the project again, the link was good.

I am sorry this is too late for Eaglescout 25 but hope it will help someone in the future.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't fix all of them at once... I still have to change each line, but this is far easier to do in the .apj file than manually within the application.  Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp