Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K Monitoring or 1/1 Playback in Full HD

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I work with 4K R3D files and am considering upgrading my system to enable either:

4K monitoring at 1/1 or 1/2 debayer

HD monitoring at 1/1 debayer

Currently, my system's output is 1920x1080 - mostly smooth at 1/2, perfect at 1/4.

Specs...

MB: ASUS X99-A

CPU: I7-5930K (Asus Turbo setting)

RAM: 32GB DDR4

GPU: GTX 970

Media: 7200RPM drives (considering setting up RAID)

I'm not exactly sure where any bottlenecks might be...

Any thoughts on what component upgrades are required for either option, or adequate system specs in general would be hugely appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many drives, how full, and what is on each?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5x 5TB, 90% full. Footage files/folders only. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barker85  wrote

90% full.

That is very likely a bottleneck.

Where is the OS and cache?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the responses.

My OS and Cache are on separate SSDs.

My present system isn't even capable of monitoring in 4K so I'm interested in what the recommended system specs are for that (and whether this would entail upgrading everything in my system) and also if being able to monitor in 4K is significantly better and worth it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best thing for you to do is to buy a Samung M.2 960 Pro (or if money is a real problem the EVO version) and use it for you current Project(s).  As Peru Bob said you have a real storage problem.  Get off any hard disk drives when you are editing.  They are only for archiving and backup in this day and age.

What is your OS/Applications drive.  If is not a SSD get a good SATA III one for that also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raid-0 would give some additional performance boost to the hdd speeds and could be done for free with the motherboard or windows. before spending $1200-2600 to upgrade the hdd's to ssd's i would investigate the cpu and gpu for possible upgrades first. the cpu and gpu both are being used for red media decoding and debayering. you can check how your current cpu and gpu are performing with windows task manager to see the cpu % and gpu-z for the gpu load %.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But will RAID 0 at 90% full make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is a performance penalty with having the hdd's nearly full, raid should have higher speeds even with that penalty. freeing up disk space and implementing raid would both contribute to performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines