• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Bug in Photoshop 2017 Move Tool

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can no longer move layers with just the move tool. This only happened when I updated to PS 2017. To move layers I have to do CTRL + T or Turn on Transformation Controls and Click it first.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Ok figured it out. I recently installed a Wacom Tablet Driver and when im not using it it dissallowed me to move things in photoshop but i just had to uninstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the layer is not locked if that was what you were thinking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine on my windows machine.

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would i do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should help you.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/photoshop-troubleshooting-resetting-preferences/

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset them and it still does not work. I also uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still did not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of your layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn Auto-select ON

Autoselect.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still does not allow me to move layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't get is that his task bar should like like this and it doesn't2017-04-18_21-46-37 move tool.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps but when i try to drag my cursor goes white much like the direct selection tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also there is no photoshop icon

https://gyazo.com/6f837885189489b098d3666d23548a1d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

camp89422048  wrote

Also there is no photoshop icon

https://gyazo.com/6f837885189489b098d3666d23548a1d

Tiny screen shots like that are not helpful.  We need to see the context to understand what is going on.  Just grab the entire screen, and paste to this thread with Ctrl v (Cmd v).  You don't need to use the third part image hosting site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if i select part of a layer i can move the selected part around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we clarify exactly what your issue is?  Are you saying that you are unable to drag an object around the canvas with the Move tool? And you have Auto select turned off in the Options bar? 

The white cursor arrow is correct, and changes to white from the Move tool cursor as you start dragging the layer content.  With Auto Select unchecked, you can enable it by Ctrl clicking the layer content, (which is my preferred way of working).

This is so unusual, I strongly suspect something else is going on, like you have a Copy-merged layer at the top of the stack which is hiding the movement.  If you open Layer Panel Options and chose the large thumb nail, does the object move in the thumbnail, or is it definitely static?

If you still have the issue, a screen shot of your entire workspace might help.  Un dock the layers panel and expand it so we can see as many layers as possible, and perhaps twirl shut the layer effects.  There is something a bit weird going on here methinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here if a video of it not working

Photoshop Bug - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

camp89422048  wrote

Here if a video of it not working

Photoshop Bug - YouTube

Thanks for the video.  I have watched it several times and can see nothing wrong with your workflow.  We can see the cursor change to the white arrow indicating that you have the mouse button pressed.  The layer is not locked.  AFAICT it should work, but it doesn't.

It looks like Windows 10.  What have you tried?  I believe you have reset Preferences? 

Have you reinstalled Photoshop?

Have you restarted your computer and Photoshop?

Have you tried a new image document?

Are you using a mouse, or tablet, and have you tried a different mouse?

First thing to try is starting Photoshop with the Shift key depressed to force it to ignore any third party plug-ins and extensions.  If that gets it working, then you'll obviously have to uninstall them one at a time to see which one is the problem.  If that makes no difference, reinstall Photoshop but run the Cleaner tool.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Fingers crossed that fixes it, because I am struggling to think what else might be causing this.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to downgrade PS to see if it really is 2017 or nor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

camp89422048  wrote

Is there a way to downgrade PS to see if it really is 2017 or nor

The thing is, those of us that have responded and are using Windows 10 with CC 2017, are not having this issue.   So it seems to me that there is either something happening with your operating system, like a broken API, or that Photoshop is broken.  If you have not already done so, it really doesn't take long to reinstall, but be sure to run the cleaner tool (linked in post #17). 

I assume you have tried starting Photoshop with the Shift key depressed to rule out third party plug-ins and extensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he decides to go that route he should also use the ACC cleaner tool, reboot and then re-install PS.

he might also run a registry cleaner for added effectiveness.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbmoo7,

I think the difference is in your screenshot that's how the Move Tool options look when one has Enable Narrow Options Bar checked in Edit>Preferences>Workspace, which uses some icons in the place of text

The ops is apparently not checked.

Screenshot-(102).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Windows 10.  What have you tried?  I believe you have reset Preferences?

Have you reinstalled Photoshop?

Have you restarted your computer and Photoshop?

Have you tried a new image document?

Are you using a mouse, or tablet, and have you tried a different mouse?

I have done all of these and it still does not work and the condensed bar did not do anything just made it look different

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your right Kelly.

camp

Use this link.

Jim

Download and install Creative Cloud apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok figured it out. I recently installed a Wacom Tablet Driver and when im not using it it dissallowed me to move things in photoshop but i just had to uninstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines