Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Barrier-free pdf: export from indesign CC to pdf

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have a question concerning the export / print form InDesign CC to pdf. I want to create a barrier-free brochure with charts. I have added alternativ texts to the charts, which are related illustrator files.

Unfortunately, after export, the screenreader in pdf does not only read the alternative text of a chart but it reads all text marks at the x- and y-axis (e.g. every single year of the x-axis) in the chart too, which is completely unnecessary. As a workaround, I would create a separate InDesign file for barrier-free online-publication, export all charts to png, change the relates of the charts from the illustrator files to the png-files.

But this is a lot of extra work, which I would like to avoid. In particular, as there are still changes pending, which I would have to consider twice then. Also, I would like to have the vector graphics in the pdf.

How can i export the pdf with keeping the related illustrator files, but with the screen reader reading the alternative texts only?

Thank you very much for a solution!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Hi

Would this old Chad's solution be helpful?

See Re: How to apply alt text to .eps that contains text already

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Would this old Chad's solution be helpful?

See Re: How to apply alt text to .eps that contains text already

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thank you very much Vinny. Thanks to this work-around the screenreader only reads the alternative text and spares out the other texts of the chart. And it is possible to make a batch process, so I can produce all eps-files in one step. Great solution!

There still remains the problem in the (not yet completely) barrier-free pdf that the alternative text does not appear on a mouse-over. This is the case when I export the charts as png or jpg and I would like to have this feature also on basis of ai- or eps-files. Does anyone know how to solve this?

(It would also be great if the alternative text could be read separately (i.e. without having the whole page to be read) when clicking on the chart. But this seems to be impossible and it is not demanded by our client, so I don’t go further on that detail.)

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. Maybe you could ask those specific questions to the acrobat forum. I think they overpass InDesign capacities...

Vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines