• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Worksheets where the image is not the main value of the product - standard license

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, we know similar questions exist but we are still unclear as whether or not the standard license covers us if the vector graphic being purchased is NOT the main value of a product being sold. We create worksheets that are sold in PDF form and the graphics we use only serve as support imagery for the main content.

The standard license says:

"Create products for resale where the main value of the product is the image itself. For example, you can’t use the asset to create a poster, t-shirt, or coffee mug that someone would buy specifically because of the image printed on it."

No one would be purchasing the worksheets we sale "specifically because of the image printed on it." but it still seems there is ambiguity here.

Here are examples of the worksheets we sell:

Preview-1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

If you take the images out will people still buy it or does the product have the same value? If the answer is no, then you need an extended license.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you take the images out will people still buy it or does the product have the same value? If the answer is no, then you need an extended license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. In answer to your question, in many cases, yes, people would still purchase as many such worksheets without specific imagery exists and people purchase them. On the other hand of course the imagery adds overall value to the product but isn't the specific reason people are buying them. In this case, how does one determine added "value"? As design in any form would technically add value to the product even if it isn't the determining factor as to why one would choose to purchase.

Or is it just a case where we should stay away from stock imagery entirely? We have professional designers on our team who are currently creating imagery but it would of course dramatically improve our workflow if standard licensed stock is an option. If an extended license is required then we would be much better off creating all imagery ourselves. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question and agree that the license is not clear on this.

My free local community magazine uses stock images to create kids puzzle pages among other things. The puzzle pages have potential to be sold cheaply online as a teaching/parenting resource.

We do one most months, and for this page each month will often buy a standard license for at least 4, 5, 6 or more images in a certain theme, colour palette, style, etc oftentimes each is from different artists. Other times the same one. Then we spend a great deal of time combining them together with our own contributions, into a new product. My question specifically is do I need to now purchase an extended license for all 6 assets that I INCORPORATED into my own design in order to onsell that new design?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The licensing terms are clear: if the stock assets are the primary use of what you sell, you need an extended licence for those assets. You can buy an extended licence right away. The extended licence does also allow for use in your community magazine.

Look here for more information on licensing: https://community.adobe.com/t5/stock/links-for-licensing-terms/td-p/11366788
(Disclaimer: As always with licensing, this is my interpretation of the rules. I think they are correct and advice is based on reading and interpreting the licence terms and on fair use for both the buyer and the artist/stock company, but I cannot rule out that my interpretation is wrong. I'm not an Adobe employee).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started