• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017.1.0 [Nik plugins unusable with this version of PS. OK with earlier versions]

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded from PS CC 2017 to 2017.1.0 and my NIK plug-ins are now so slow and erratic that they are unusable. I have reverted to CC 2017 and they work perfectly once again. My system comprises an iMac running a completely up-to-date version of OS Sierra. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix or is this a result of Google's failure to support NIK?

Terry from Cambridge, England

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the price you pay for not paying (for free stuff).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek

I did originally pay for the NIK plug-ins - more than £400. If you can recommend any other software that is as good as the NIK ones for working on small areas of an image, then I will happily buy it. Frankly I have found nothing else that rivals the U Point technology in NIK software (which is why I am very keen - in common with many other semi-pro and pro photographers - to continue using it) but, if you do, I am all ears.

Terry

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not, but which feature do you use the most?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly all of it, Derek….but I am keen to get back to the issue raised in my opening message - has anyone else had the same problem as I have and, if so, is there a fix?

Terry Hanby

(Do not post contact information here. Moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terry, it's not wise to add personal data on these public forums.

Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek

Very many thanks for that Helpful comment. I stupidly used another machine and it automatically added my tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably know about these, but in case...

https://www.on1.com

http://www.topazlabs.com

Derek (from England too!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do, Derek, but thanks for the suggestions. I quite like some of the Topaz plug-ins but none of them seem to have the ‘intelligence’ of NIK when it comes to working on a small part of any image.

I’ll have to practice my PS masking skills…!

Off to watch the National now.

Best

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, Maybe try being helpful or not answering at all. NIK was a paid set of nice plugins before Google bought it and released it for free. So, either answer the question asked or be quiet. Nobody needs your input on what they should or should post. Please, go annoy someone else. It is hard enough to find answers without people chiming in who clearly have none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't be rude to contributors, this is a friendly forum.

To others who are looking for useful filters, I suggest you have a look at Luminar Neptune:

Photo Editor for Mac – Best Photo Editing Software for Mac | Luminar

You can get a free trial – there's also a free pubic beta for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my point, Derek. Take your own rude advice and reign it in. Be friendly or be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at Derek's point score on our forums you will see he has either answered correctly  or significantly contributed too over 700 questions, so may I suggest that you owe him an apology as you have not answered a single question?

Derek is being purely pragmatic. With Nik plugins (which I use and love) we are using software written years ago, intended for a different version of Photoshop and never tested on Sierra let alone High Sierra. Windows users benefit because Microsoft is better than Apple in ensuring the OS retains it's legacy functionality, whereas Apple in a Cavalier way expects it's end users to update everything as soon as they release a new OSX version-they are notorious for that.  I do think it unfair that people having paid £400 can no longer fully rely on everything working, but this surely is the fault of Google/Alphabet for buying up this once great product to acquire aspects of the technology for other purposes and leaving the original product to slowly become unusable. I guess we are lucky it is now free, at least Windows users benefit, but sooner or later you will need to find a replacement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply don't care about his numbers. I'm just tired of people responding to questions with comments like, "It's the price you pay for not paying (for free stuff)." That's neither helpful nor accurate. The original poster paid for the NIK collection and doesn't need a snarky answer to a legitimate question. I'm asking that Derek temper his answer and limit it to useful responses. You let me know how his initial response was at all helpful and how his follow up, "Terry, it's not wise to add personal data on these public forums," is really any of his business. The original poster was expressing his own frustration with Derek when he responds, "….but I am keen to get back to the issue raised in my opening message - has anyone else had the same problem as I have and, if so, is there a fix?" So, my point is that regardless of Derek's history he was neither helpful nor kind in his assumptions and hubris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CCBittner  wrote

"It's not wise to add personal data on these public forums," is really any of his business. The original poster was expressing his own frustration with Derek when he responds, "….

Derek was 100% correct to point out that personal data like phone numbers, actual email addresses and particularly serial numbers should never be posted here-I would have told Terry exactly the same thing had I seen his post-not as a chastisement but to protect his personal security and that is all Derek did. As a moderator here I remove such details regularly before they reach the eyes of our OPs. You would be surprised at how many potential fraudsters look for vulnerable people here and try to get access to their computers via Skype. Sometimes it's legitimate and they just want to charge a fee for fixing an easy issue other times it is more sinister. I understand you annoyance with the plugin but lay off Derek as we try to run a friendly forum here-after all you are not paying a penny piece to use it are you and Derek is not an Adobe staffer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Terri for explaining to this new person how the forum works. Hopefully we can all now move on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri, you clearly are not concerned about running a "friendly" forum here, you are concerned with protecting your frequent flyers regardless of their inappropriate responses. None of your responses or Derek's provided the original poster a useful answer. However, later responses by others gave answers that worked for me and him. Thank you for removing personal info from those who inadvertently post it or forget the risks. This is your job, not Derek's, who as you say is "not an Adobe staffer." I manage hundreds Adobe CC licenses with the potential of moving into the enterprise realm soon and we come in for answers when we have issues. I'm not here to fight but I'm also not here to be harassed by those who have no intention of helping. I found answers but I'm wondering why Derek ever responded at all. He didn't help and provided no answers. And yet you're reprimanding me, not him. I'll send a note to Adobe detailing our exchange and the amount our institution spends yearly on your products. I'm hoping things are more "friendly" as we move forward. And more helpful. Thank you for you interest in this exchange. I hope you find a way to moderate for all your users as many of us need answers not conflict and defensive posturing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok enough is enough. I'm not an Adobe employee either simply an unpaid volunteer who Adobe trusts to represent them here. I have been fair with you even though you are 'trolling' the forum and I don't care if you hold a million licences , you either treat forum users with the respect they deserve or I'll lock this thread completely and ask Adobe to investigate whether we want you as a user. You have no knowledge of me whatsoever so how dare you say I don't care about running a friendly forum. This is the most prestigious and authoritative source for Adobe related information on the web and we help thousands of people a day. What we don't need is hotheads more interested in ranting than asking questions. Derek and my time are valuable, we are both design professionals and I repeat you don't pay for our expert opinions.

Terri Stevens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will be forwarded to Adobe. Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trembling in my boots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picked up a suggestion from another thread and tried it. Managed to get my NIK plugins working with both PS and LR classic and High Sierra by uninstalling the NIK plugins using the NIK uninstaller and reinstalling the NIK package. Apparently the problems are less with the underlying NIK, Apple, or Adobe code, and more with getting the linking set up correctly.

Haven't had a chance to test it rigorously, but it is working better than LR 2017 under High Sierra on the first few passes. Color Efex, Silver Efex, and Sharpener all worked for me without the crashing PS or LR, and they seem to pass files correctly both directions.. I don't use Define or the NIK HDR as I incorporated MacPhun's "Noiseless" and Aurora HDR to start the process of finding a new hopefully more sustainable workflow. List of todos for today is to wring it all out a little more systematically, and to work with Viviza in both apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good to hear it's working. It's such a shame these filters are being neglected by Google. Although they are old they were beautifully created when working they stack up well against modern day opposition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google's support forums for NIK on the subject of Photoshop 2017. Google Groups

If you still need these plugins, know that you can keep and operate the earlier version of Photoshop it worked on.

For example 2015.5

Adobe advanced, NIK decided not to and so that's why NIK won't work on CC 2017.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Gene. In fact, it seems fine with CC 2017; it's only the very recent update to 2017.1.0 that causes the problem.

Looks like I'll have to stick there. Damn!

There must be somebody willing to buy and support NIK.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got (almost) the same annoying probs w/ Nik Efex after updating to Photoshop 2017.1 (using a Macbook) ...

Dfine 2 doesn't´t work at all; just hangs at opening screen saying "Working", but nothing happens.

The rest of the Nik Efex plugins kind of work (slowly): I just have to move the cursor several times (at the opening screen) to make them react.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines