• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot load ICC profiles in Win 10 PS CS6\CS3\CS

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two profiles made by i1 Pro 2, which work fine on my laptop of Win 7 PS CS5\CS2 and many other machines. But recently, when I want to use them on another machine which has Win 10 PS CS, PS just kept telling me that they are invalid profile so that cannot be loaded. Then I went on testing on some other machines with Win 10 and PS CS3 and CS6, neither works. So exhausted by this weird problem!

Could it be the Win 10 OS or the PS software?

Many thanks for your kindly answers or any discussions...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the profiles are not working on any of the Win 10 machines you tested, chances are they are not supported or not being loaded correctly?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the ICC profiles seem to be not supported or not loaded correctly (less probably). But why and therefore how to make it working? Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gongtaow,

Since Microsoft resigned from the International Color Consortium this hasn't got any easier.

When you right click the new profile you made and select "install profile" is that when the issue (the warning) occurs?

If so, then that seems to be a Windows 10 issue and probably a question for X-rite.

[ The easiest way to install a profile in Windows Windows is to right click on the profile in Windows Explorer and select "install profile". Windows copies the profile to the correct directory automatically.

The default location for installed profiles is: C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color]

You wrote"PS just kept telling me that they are invalid profile so that cannot be loaded"

are you seeing a warning dialog in Photoshop??

Can you please post a screenshot of the warning dialog you see?

One idea - I wonder if W10 requires the suffix ".icm" rather than ".icc"? Why not try that? Microsoft used to insist on profiles being suffixed with ".icm".

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helllo, NB

thank you for your options. To install the ICC, I tried

1. right click and intalled

2. manually copied into the dirvers\color directory

After your reply, I tried used .icm suffix, also used two ways

1. right click and installed

2. manually copied

Seems neither works. That is to say, when installed or manually copied, no error message pops up but when I start PS and try to use the ICC for some picture editting, PS CS6 warned me it is a invalid profile.

Here is the error message PS CS6 gave

cannot load icm.png

Because in the normal CMYK workspace I cannot see my ICC name, it seems to me that somehow the OS or the PS CS6 donot recognize my ICC as a valid file and when I tried to load it, CS6 gave the above message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you go into the driver/color folder and find the profile you want to load, R-click it and bring up properties and general and select what APP you want the profile to open with. Hit apply and see if that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Na, does not work for any other picture editing or viewing APP till now. Seems that Windows 10 OS does not recognize the ICC and cannot be added into the list that Windows allow to use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gongtaow

Please give an English translation of the error message.

Is it actually a CMYK profile you made? You can't load an RGB profile there in the CMYK slot.

Please upload the profile you made somewhere so I can download and check it for errors for you. WeTransfer maybe?

Please mark as helpful if it is';~}

I am unsure why you want to edit a file in the printer's CMYK Colour space. Working in RGB and converting a file at the end of editing is a more regular way of working. Otherwise you have an edited file that's only suitable for that one printer / paper!

However if you do want to edit in printer Colour space then try this:

Can you "assign" the profile in the edit / assign profile dialog? Or convert to it if your file is RGB?

That may be more correct than setting a printer profile you made as the default CMYK anyway. That default CMYK (sometimes called the CMYK workingspace) slot is normally reserved for a standard CMYK profile like ISO coated or SWOP coated.

I hope this helps,

If so please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now as: "correct answer" so that others can track down this thread if they have similar issues. Thanks Neil Barstow, colourmanagement.net 

';~}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is a very special customized CMYK ICC for that special printer/paper pair and it has been used for almost 2 years since made. Just recently for updated OS, it stopped working.

The error message says 'Cannot load the CMYK working space because the ICC profile is invalid'.

I cannot assign the profile.

I tried to manually add the ICC into Windows Color Management list, and found it cannot be recognized by Win 10 OS. As I went to setting->advanced color management for displays, scanners and printers->all profiles->add(A)..., but nothing happens and the ICC name does not pop up into the list. Neither .icm nor .icc suffix work.

The most tricky thing here is that the Win 10 OS update is not finished, but it cannot proceed (Error code 0xc1900107 and many other codes) and neither could it be roll back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

So you have a Windows problem, it's not a Photoshop issue, it seems as the profile fault / error is system wide.

I am still unsure as to why you want to "work" in a printer colourspace. however, you'll certainly need to convert during the print process so the profile needs to work.

If you upload it I will look at it (and maybe fix it) as I suggested earlier, but it does seem that your W10 installation may be at fault here. Perhaps a clean install is needed.

good luck

I hope this helps, If so please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now as: "correct answer" so that others can track down this thread if they have similar issues. Thanks Neil Barstow, colourmanagement.net 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the link of WeTransfer, thank you very much for looking into them.

WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it works perfectly here, so I really don't have much else to say. But as you can see, I'm still on Windows 7.

profile_1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'll have a look at the profile structure Monday.

Travelling this week, my apologies.

Neil Barstow

colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

gongtaow17532299,

I can't see anything wrong with those profiles in my tests using the very capable "Colorthink"..

Sorry

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful"

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the profile is listed under spool > drivers > color, it seems to me it's installed as far as Windows is concerned.

The "invalid" message comes from Photoshop as it tries to use the profile and runs the normal error-checking. This error-checking code may change between versions. IOW, my guess is that the profile really is invalid, and I'd try to make a new one, with updated software (i1Profiler or whatever is used).

Windows itself doesn't do any color management, it never does anything with the profiles. It just puts them in a system folder and makes them available as applications request them. The icc suffix has never been an issue and it doesn't seem logical that it should start now.

That said, I agree that it's not a good idea to work in any CMYK color space, that conversion should happen at the end. However, having it set as working CMYK keeps it readily available if it's frequently used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I guess at present I cannot say for sure that the 'invalid' comes from PS yet, as I claimed earlier:

"I tried to manually add the ICC into Windows Color Management list, and found it cannot be recognized by Win 10 OS. As I went to setting->advanced color management for displays, scanners and printers->all profiles->add(A)..., but nothing happens and the ICC name does not pop up into the list."r

So after the right click and installation, the ICC did appear under spool... directory. But seems to me that neither Win10 OS, nor PS recognize it as a working profile.

I did upload two ICC profiles by WeTransfer. So please, if anyone could help me looking into them for the source of problem. Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not see files uploaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not see files uploaded.

There's a wetransfer-link in #12.

I use wetransfer to send big files myself, on an almost daily basis, so that's one link I don't hesitate to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well

I installed the profiles on my  win 10 machine.

PS finds the profiles and converts the space.

After I convert the profile and go back to convert space again, this is what appears.

So yes it appears to work.

Jim2017-04-26_16-19-07 profiles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thank you for the information. The Win10 on which my profile does not seem to work is Simplified Chinese version, could it be a reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it.

Code is code, no matter what language is used.

I just unzipped , and R-clicked "install profile"

Ran PS and life was good.

here is the folder structure.2017-04-26_16-19-07 profiles location.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it seems to me that right-click and install also copied the ICC to the spool...  , but on my Win10, neither the OS nor PS did recognize the profile as a working profile. But I really do not know why it is like that. Anyway, it seems working well on both your machine and D Fosse's Win7. So do we have any other way to find out a reason? Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines