Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart object issue

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

I have been dealing with Adobe Photoshop CC for years and with it's smart object.

I used to make in the smart object more than a 10 layers maybe more.

Recently i have been facing an issue, every time i save it gives me message stating "

Can't save this document back to its original format.

Flatten layers and discard extra data as necessary and choose

File > Save again."

Yep i flatted the layers and it worked but what is the use of the smart object So ?

I tried to place embedded and still the same, same goes with Linked.

I need help please.

P.s: this went with other CC and CS.

P.s: tried the update all modified content.

Screenshot_5.png

PS:Thus this the issue am facing.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're using an older version of CC. Have you tried updating to 2017? Is there a reason you're staying with 2014?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used 2015.5 and 2017 with the latest update and still the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Save as and use the file type pull-down and select a Layered file format(PSD, PSD, Tiff).   What format file did you open the document with?   What was the original format?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give you an example.

Me doing a design has number layers one of these layers are smart object thing, this smart object  has layers with different type "jpeg, psd, png"  it wouldn't save and gives me the same issue, mean while i was doing anything with any number of layer you can imagine and put with different type. as i have been learning  for years this is normal and this one of the reasons why the smart object is created and adobe made it for.

it's for sure saving smart object is PSD !

I am using Photoshop  smart object for years and it was perfectly fine well i can say great and nothing better.

recently this issue made my progress  goes down little bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original starting document is likely in a format that doesn't support layers, e.g. jpeg.

You need to save as a tiff or psd that does support them as jjmack says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well sir it smart objects save s as psd  and still the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After saving the layered image as a new file you can »Relink to File« the existing SO to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i didn't get it what you want to say

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post should be closed. There is no solution in over 5 years - it's now Nov. 2022 and I am having the same issue with this error message. I've tried everything I know and it will not let me save the file. In my case, I'm replacing a smart image in another document. It won't let me save my new image (so it is replaced in the original psd. I hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! I just actually solved it. You need to merge all the layers and then right click on that one remaining and go "Flatten Layer"

Now it will let you save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not a solution.  It will save out as a JPG with nearly all Photoshop functions hard baked into the image.  The Smart Object will be gone which would be a disaster to someone who has spent hours creating a project with multiple layers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines