• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constant Frame Rate to Variable

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a video with "Frame Rate" - Constant (MediaInfo). How to make a variable?

As in this example:

Frame rate mode                          : Variable

Frame rate                               : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS

Minimum frame rate                       : 23.974 FPS

Maximum frame rate                       : 90 000.000 FPS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing with professional video. some cameras only use adaptive framerates to save storage capacity and transfer bandwidth just like some Internet streaming uses similar stuff, but as far as the actual production pipeline is concerned, it's completely irrelevant.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just i have video downloaded from the internet and this video have this FPS Settings:

Frame rate mode                          : Variable

Frame rate                               : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS

Minimum frame rate                       : 23.974 FPS

Maximum frame rate                       : 90 000.000 FPS

I interesting how i can make this from constant FPS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mylenium says, you can't create variable frame rate videos like that with After Effects.

Also, while I think After Effects should allow higher frame rates in video output and in compositions, I don't really see the need for 90,000 fps. Would the human eye really notice a frame rate about 700 fps (or 1000)? Surely unless you would need to use it in a specific application afterwards, there would be no need. Nobody's monitor runs at more than a few hundred Hz - so for viewing on a PC monitor there's no need for any frame rate higher than the max refresh rate of current monitors (a few hundred Hz), and even in the next decade or so it is unlikely they will output in over 1000Hz.

You might be able to do that in another program though (but I really don't see much need to).

If you have a video with multiple frame rates, you could make the video frame rate the highest frame rate the place where you want to upload it/get it viewed allows. eg. for youtube you could set to 60 fps (though technically that would then mean any video within it that isn't a multiple of the destination frame rate would then have added pull-down judder added, but most people's PCs will mostly be approx 60Hz anyway..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The human eye can't really notice anything beyond 60 fps.

That being said, today's update to After Effects lets you make much faster FPS settings for your comps. (Although, as pointed out, there's no need for it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the EBU subjective tests, viewers noticed a quite high quality improvement going from 120 fps to 240 fps. Fighter pilots have also been tested with a couple of hundred fps footage I believe. The next UHD standards will also allow 100/120 fps (eg. REC2020).

It's good if After Effects has been updated to allow >99 fps though for comps and higher fps output in encoding to the various codecs. So does it go up to at least 120 fps everywhere now (comps and output to codecs?). Any chance it could also be changed AE CS5.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I meant to edit the above post about 700 fps, but the forum never lets me. The 700 fps is what the BBC paper says is approx what is needed for displays to have no visible artefacts, ie. no judder/strobing/blur due to movement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a difference between a display's refresh rate and the actual frame rates of the footage, but that's a discussion for a different forum.

As far as the frame rates, yes. It goes really high in your comps and outputs. No, they are unlikely to do any development on software as old as CS 5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know, and the BBC was talking about video needing to be approx 700 fps and the display being able to show that too (so the display would need to be 700Hz as well as the frame rate of the video being at least 700 fps), to eliminate visible motion judder/strobing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well, that's not that good . So there's no After Effects software that you can actually buy that can do the higher rates then, you will only be able to rent it for a bit .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right. Besides, you can't buy any version of After Effects anymore. Adobe stopped selling CS6 a few months ago. I quite like the new subscription thing, but I know many people don't care for it.

One huge benefit of it is that Adobe can release new tools as they become available. As a publicly traded company, they weren't allowed to do that by law under the perpetual license system. Now, since it's subscription-based, they can release new features whenever they want to. (As evidenced by today's point update that is chock full of cool new stuff.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines