• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I open AE, screen is completely blank - How do I open New Project?

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had CC for many months.  I just recently downloaded AE and when I open, the screen is completely blank (dark gray).  When I go to "New Project" everything is grayed out?  How do I get a New Project going?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

You need to create a composition inside your project. The video apps (AE, Premiere, Audition etc.) work a bit differently than Photoshop and Illustrator: there's another layer of structure. Instead of being just the thing you're working on itself, the "project" is a container for all the relevant media assets you plan to work with, and you can have multiple sequences inside that project that use those elements. In After Effects, those are called compositions.

Here's a super useful walkthrough to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create a composition inside your project. The video apps (AE, Premiere, Audition etc.) work a bit differently than Photoshop and Illustrator: there's another layer of structure. Instead of being just the thing you're working on itself, the "project" is a container for all the relevant media assets you plan to work with, and you can have multiple sequences inside that project that use those elements. In After Effects, those are called compositions.

Here's a super useful walkthrough to help you get started: Get to know the After Effects interface |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Victoria's suggestion help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Victoria.

Szalam - yes.  I have marked the thread as correct/resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Also, welcome to the world of After Effects! It's the most complex and complicated piece of software Adobe makes. Prepare yourself for a big learning curve! But, once you get the hang of it, it's a blast!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines