• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RTL in Indesign CC

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all. I am working on an existing Indesign document, created in English. I need to replace the text with a Hebrew text. I have Indesign CC, supporting Hebrew (I installed the English with Hebrew supported version - and it worked fine so far). Unfortunately, in this file the Adobe world-ready feature does not work properly. I am having problems with punctuation appearing in the beginning of lines, numbered lists appear backwards and such.

Where is the all so needed paragraph direction option when one needs it?...

Please help,

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Problem solved! I simpli uninstalled and re installed Indesign - and walla! - it is all there. thank you very much for all our help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Naaman,

First, make sure you've got the Middle Eastern (ME) version of InDesign.

If you do, you can go to Type > Apply Adobe World Ready Composers.

This will switch all the existing text over to the WR composer, and you should then be able to type over it with Hebrew.

You can also do this the normal way, which is to select the paragraphs and from the flyout menu of the Control Panel, select Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer.

You can also define a paragraph style to use this composer, under the "Justification" tab of the paragraph style window.

HTH,

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. Indesign CC does not have ME version - you only have English which supports Hebrew text. I do apply World Ready Paragraph Composer, but for some reason it does not change the paragraph direction in this file....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look on my answer, you have the MENA version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. How do I install a MENA version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have described it. Change the language in the CC app and install again aboove the first installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately, the "character‏‏לכידה.JPG direction" option is also not to be found where it should be....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install it additionally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in CC you simply choose the English with Hebrew support and install. do you think I should install English, and than the English with Hebrew? I will try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! I simpli uninstalled and re installed Indesign - and walla! - it is all there. thank you very much for all our help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The English with Hebrew Support is the Middle Eastern version of InDesign, supporting right-to-left languages.

If punctuation etc. is not appearing in the correct direction, and you're sure you have the World-Ready composer applied, check the character direction of the text. It should be set to Default normally. Certainly not Left-to-Right, in any case.

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You nee to install ADDITIONALLY a MENA version (Midle East North Africa, lika Arabic, Farsi or Hebrew).

Inst all first the InDesign version of your own language, then change in the CC desktop application the preferences and change the language of the application and install again with a MENA version. This will add needed plugins to work with those languages.

Now you find RTL on document, frame, table, paragraph and character level, also in styles. You need to change the composer in the paragraph settings > Justifiaction to a World Composer version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Willi! This really helped me. I had the same problem as the original poster, but with Arabic. I was copying and pasting from translators' work in Farsi and Urdu (don't speak either) and the Farsi one was jumbling up the punctuation and odd parts where an English word/numeral needed to be inserted, even with World Ready Paragraph Composer turned on. I followed this method of reinstalling, then changing CC language preference and installed the Arabic/MENA (I'm not sure!) version on top. Then it showed up the RTL option, and all working!
(Not sure if I need to uninstall it for my regular work in English language now though?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines