Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tables and illustrations

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Lately I noticed something strange in the output of Indesign.

I had to place 40 logo's in 3 separate colums, horizontal and vertical devided with dotted lines.

Quite easy: use a table with 3 columns and 14 rows, give the cell an exact height and add the logoos.

So I did, using drag and drop all those logo's (png, ai, eps, png, jpg) an fit in cells. Great result in no time...

Everything checked, I made an PDF/X-1a:2001 of the complete brochure and send it to the printer.

Two weeks later the brochures were printed and delivered. Four weeks later I received a phonecall from the client regarding one of the logo's.

In the brochure the colors of that eps-logo were overprinted (green over yellow). Strange. More strange, that eps-logo didn't had any overprint. Just a color yellow over green (knock out).

Reproducing thas issue gives me some answers:

(1) Using drag and drop of an eps with overlapping colors (but no overprint) in a table cell, and that particular table has also text in it, the overlapping colors will be printed as overprint colors.

(2) draw a table, convert them in graphic cells, drag and drop that eps in a cell; the output will be without the overprint....

(3) put text in that table and de eps will be printed with overprint colors.

(4) draw an illustration frame and import that eps-logo, copy that frame into a cell of the tabel and the output will be without overprint.

(5) using any other illustration type (pdf, ai) will not create any overprint.

So, conclusion: don't use the illustration type eps anymore. Especially not in tables....

ps

Technical Support of Adobe didn't has answers for this issue...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS is a redundant file format that serves no purpose these days and should be avoided like the plague.

It should only be used if forced to work in this format for internal work purposes not else specified.

This is a perfect example of where to mention Monika Gause​​ EPS – the Zombie among file formats​

I would switch to other file types immediately.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@etarnal warrior: most of the logo's which are delivered from several companies, still are saved as eps (indeed old skool). But the issue I mentioned was the first time I had problems with an eps (I use always .ai within my projects.).

But strange that Adobe still uses this outdated format in their instructions how to place illustrations in InDesign...

And thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome Paulusch

https://indesignsecrets.com/tiff-vs-psd-vs-eps-vs-pdf-vs.php  - Good article that's worth a read.

EPS is a dying format. There is virtually no reason for you to ever save anything yourself as EPS. Here are good reasons to use an EPS file:

• if you already have an old vector graphic (from Illustrator or Freehand or something);
  • if some software is making it for you (such as this Barcode plug-in); in this case, the software is likely doing special stuff that can only be done in PostScript, then encapsulated in the eps.

There are sometimes good reasons to still use EPS... but personally very few,

Monika Gause​ will probably have a fantastic answer as to why you got the problem you did!

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce that.

Really strange issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika, strange indeed. And thanks for trying, because Adobe Support couldn't. I sended them my files and they told me those files caused the isuue. Hopely they visit this forum too 8:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must depend on the way InDesign treats files that are dragged directly into tables.

I couldn't see any difference in the links panel.

WIth AI files this doesn't happen.

So just another reason to not use EPS in InDesign.

I experienced my first issues with EPS in InDesign about 12 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not quite right, because if you draw a table (not in a text frame) the issue will not happen (graphic cells). Only when text is involved. Also if the text is later added...

And 12 years ago already issue... hmm. I rarely use eps, only when it is delivered...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my test file there didn't need to be text in the cell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you draw a table, but not in a text frame. Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines