Exit

Premiere Pro 5.5 video is fast-forward, audio is normal

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started a new job and they are in Premiere Pro 5.5. Dropped in an mp4 video:

48.93 fps, 704 x 480, 32-bit float audio

This video plays normally in a player like VLC. But once I put it in premiere -- EVEN JUST VIEWING IN THE PREVIEW PANE -- the video is stuck in fast forward while the audio is normal. Tried interpreting the footage to 59.94 to match a common pre-set in sequences, but then the audio plays fast, too.

Have been searching forums but not found an answer. Someone in this forum tried changing the input preferences in Audio Hardware, but I don't have any options in that pane so I can't change anything. Seems to be a video problem anyway, not audio.

Tried exporting to see what happened and sure enough, fast-forward video, normal audio.

Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

That is a VERY ODD frame rate

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing - For Windows Internet Explorer press the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard, and then do CTRL-V to paste the screen print from the clipboard into a forum message

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download POST IN TREE VIEW

Does your vide

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a VERY ODD frame rate

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing - For Windows Internet Explorer press the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard, and then do CTRL-V to paste the screen print from the clipboard into a forum message

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download POST IN TREE VIEW

Does your video use a VARIABLE Frame Rate? See https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1110005

If yes, use https://handbrake.fr/ open source transcoder/converter to convert to Constant Frame Rate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a nifty little program, but I can't install programs from the internet on my work computer.

Here's more background:

Original file captured via TelVue HyperCaster system (for broadcast). The cameras look like security cameras (round, can't actually see the camera behind the glass). This was a city council meeting--required by law to be recorded & available to the public.

Well, the Hypercaster hasn't been stopping recently when we end the live stream. So I have 2 HUGE video files, one 8 hours long, one 18 hours long that need to be trimmed back down to the 1-2 hours of footage we have on them. We then upload the files to a cable channel and also an on-demand video player on our website.

The file from the Hypercaster has no extension. When you look at attributes, it just says "file type: file". This is obviously unable to be opened in Premiere, so i first used Handbrake to change it to an mp4. Again, the mp4 plays fine in a regular video player -- but when imported to Premiere, it doesn't translate properly.

I also tried cleaning out the cache in Premiere and starting a new file from scratch, new folder, new project. Nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: switching the frame rate to constant in Handbrake seemed to fix it. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that it was created with a low frame-rate (maybe 8-10 fps). This is how a lot of security cameras work so they can record longer periods of time. Drop it in a sequence and change the frame rate in sequence settings until it looks somewhat normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines