Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Walk cycles do not work for the head

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm working on this "mucus" character and wanted to use new walking cycles. It works quite fine, except of the head. Both eyes and mouth just do not want to move with the rest of the body....

I did add the walk cycle even for the Head section, but still no positive result. There are no fixed points on the head of this character.

Am I doing something wrong? Or how should I solve this problem?

Thanks for help

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 14.54.50.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 14.54.40.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

OK. I took a look and re-rigged it the way I personally would.

The Walk behavior was applied directly to the body. This means the Walk behavior will only look for handles found in that puppet, or its subgroups. This is why moving the head into the body worked. It probably doesn't matter, but I deleted the Walk behavior from the body and added it to the main puppet. I also tagged the head handle with the neck tag and deleted your neck tag. I'm not sure that made any difference, but I found it wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because this character isn't bipedal as the walk behavior was optimized for, you may run into weirdness.

The Neck tag is the primary driver of head movement. So you can try tagging different areas and/or moving a neck-tagged handle to see if that helps your character. You may also want to adjust the hip and waist handle positions - I've found those three non-limb handles seem to have the biggest effect on body movement. And are the eyes and mouth independent? If so try toggling that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... so I didn't have body section independent. But the rest was. I turned it off and now whole body is moving quite "normal", but the head is still at the same position.

Here is a link for video: walk.mov - Google Drive

Even when I added neck, hip and waist, this head just didn't move a bit.

I really do not know what should I do, kind of lost in this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here is my puppet, maybe it will help you find out what I did wrong.

mucus.puppet - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oksamurai Maybe I have found the solution. I just moved head group into the body group and now it works. Not sure if it is good way to put it but it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, whatever works! Glad you found a solution. That's the way with CH - there's pretty much always a way to do what you want, you just might have to hunt for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My head is working strange too, do you know what the problem is maybe?Schermafbeelding 2017-06-12 om 10.23.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your character isn't walking, so please create a new thread. This way when we help you, others that search for a similar problem can benefit from the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I took a look and re-rigged it the way I personally would.

The Walk behavior was applied directly to the body. This means the Walk behavior will only look for handles found in that puppet, or its subgroups. This is why moving the head into the body worked. It probably doesn't matter, but I deleted the Walk behavior from the body and added it to the main puppet. I also tagged the head handle with the neck tag and deleted your neck tag. I'm not sure that made any difference, but I found it worked well for another puppet.

Like you already found out, having the body warp independent disconnects the face from the body, so I unchecked the crown for the body.

Finally, I was finding a single point getting stuck behind as I was walking. I deleted the Left Eye group and the problem went away. When I looked into the Left Eye group, I saw that the pupil for the Left Eye wasn't Warp Independent like it was for the right eye. This meant that the pupil being controlled from the mouse and/or camera was controlling the entire puppet. I made that pupil Warp Independent and that fixed the problem. I also deleted a stray "Left Eyeball" handle on the Left Eye. I don't think it was doing anything negative, but it also wasn't doing anything positive.

By the way, AWESOME puppet!! One of my favorites and it works GREAT with the walk behavior.

Here's the file:

Adobe Creative Cloud

Dan R.
CH QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks amazing now. He is really funny with his jelly belly walking

Thank you very much guys, hope it will work for another two puppets I'm working on. They had the same structure of the body so I will apply this to all of them.

Thak you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines