• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will this laptop run Premier Pro/After Effects?

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purchasing a new laptop: Dell Latitude E7470: I7-6600U dualcore 2.6Ghz; 16B with 256GB SSD. Display is 14"HD(1366x768.  Will this display handle the graphics needed for Premier Pro or do I need something more advanced?

[Moderator note: moved to appropriate forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do I need something more advanced?

I recommend step 4.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minimum graphics resolution requirement according to Adobe is 1280x800.

So the answer to your question is YES!

The rest of the specification is also far from ideal.

Adobe's minimum quoted specifiation - link below - provides more of a stagger than a run.

Premiere Pro System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, like I had stated many, many times, 1366x768 does not meet the minimum required vertical resolution for the Premiere work area to be displayed properly. In fact, critical portions of the work area will become irrecoverably hidden with a 1366x768 display (this means that not only the dialog boxes cannot be resized any smaller, but also the boxes cannot be moved sufficiently to reveal those critical buttons that are required to render or export projects). The only fix would be an external monitor that's connected via HDMI, which would have totally defeated the primary purpose of a laptop to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And to expand on that, both the "1200" and the "800" resolution numbers must be met or exceeded. One must never add or multiply the two resolution numbers! It just doesn't work out that way. Each number must be considered separately.

As such, if that display were 16x9, the display resulution must be 1424x800 or higher to properly display the Premiere Pro work area. 1366x768 cannot cut it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if it would run, a dual core processor would not allow a pleasant editing experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's another strike against the laptop in question: That i7-6600U, which cannot Turbo at all when both cores are in use (but instead stays locked to the stock frequency of 2.6 GHz), is much slower than even a cheapo desktop i3-6100 CPU (which I had previously determined to be already marginal for any kind of HD video editing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines