• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer selection in Timeline

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of 20 frame layers that have been sequenced with no overlaps (the timeline looks like a staircase), but now I'm adjusting the timing of some of the layers and want to move them forward and backward by a few frames at a time. But selecting only the particular layers I want to work with is proving tricky.

Is it possible to use the selection tool to select multiple layers in the Timeline by drawing a selection rectangle around them, rather than having to click on them individually and holding shift to add to the selection?

The tool is drawing a "box" as I click and drag in the Timeline, which implies that this functionality is there, but it doesn't select anything.

My other option is to go all the way over to the left hand layer column and select each layer by name, but that's pretty cumbersome, too. Also, my ability to guess exactly which of my 36 layers corresponds to that little 20 frame chunk in the middle of the timeline is also not 100%, so that results in a fair amount of trial and error.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Is it possible to use the selection tool to select multiple layers in the Timeline by drawing a selection rectangle around them, rather than having to click on them individually and holding shift to add to the selection?

The tool is drawing a "box" as I click and drag in the Timeline, which implies that this functionality is there, but it doesn't select anything.

unfortunately no. the square rectangle selection is for keyframes, not layers.

My other option is to go all the way over to the left hand

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

unfortunately no. the square rectangle selection is for keyframes, not layers.

My other option is to go all the way over to the left hand layer column and select each layer by name, but that's pretty cumbersome, too. Also, my ability to guess exactly which of my 36 layers corresponds to that little 20 frame chunk in the middle of the timeline is also not 100%, so that results in a fair amount of trial and error.

you can also click on the layer bar itself.

there are other ways to select and arrange layers. here's a help file about it: Selecting and arranging layers in After Effects if there's something in the functionality you think is missing, ask for it here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines